Default re: achtung minen

just copped for another , thats on its way to me, rgds Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images achtung minen 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement achtung minen
    P
    Many

Default Re: achtung minen

Here's one thats used for paintballing sites. It's 6" x 6" (150 x 150mm). Looks the same, retails at 5.99 GBP, hope you ain't got burned too bad Dave.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images achtung minen 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

hi Ned, that sure looks the same,,, have you a link to the site so i can challenge the seller cheers Dave

Hi Dave,

Just punch in 'achtung minen' on google, there's loads of sites selling the same sign. The one i got the above info on was Signs-Unique Home Page - Signs Unique Ltd secure online shop .

Maybe yours has been nailed to a tree at a paintball centre, and some opportunist little scrote saw a nice earner, who knows, but on the evidence i've seen so far, it's a bad 'un.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

A very interesting piece. From the images, it certainly appears to show consistant age and wear. I have no doubt that these signs were made from stencils and done frree form. Necessity is always the mother of invention. I like the entire format and have no problem with it being exactly what it purports to be.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thanks Ned for the link on the yellow sign i have now sent this link to seller just hope he sees what we see, and thanks BOB for your reply on my wooden sign i too like it it has a nice spot on my wall in my little room of goodies rgds Dave

Dave-
    I would also concur that the metal sign is not a WW2 era German sign. The format of the totenkopf does not resemble any of the numerous forms used in period.
    The
    Germans also used a zinc based steel for their enameled signs. It appears that the second sign has red rust. A zinc based steel corrodes black, not red.
    I like your wood sign and recall seeing a period picture of one in similar, but not identical format.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thanks again the seller has just sent me a full refund after i sent the link phew close call cheers Dave

The thing that puzzles me is why a vet would bother bringing home with him an old crate top with wording on it when there must of been thousands upon thousands more wonderous souvenirs lying around.But to that I supposes we will never know.

?

Again, a great find, real or otherwise. As to being to well done, I can just imagine the scene.

the company sergeant says:

"Hay, Grubber! weren't you a sign writer in Dusseldorf before the war".

"Yes Sergeant" comes the reply

"Well then Private, paint me some Minefield warning signs, and you can use this one to copy from"

LOL well I think its possible

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2