Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ashtray made from artillery case

Article about: Hi everyone, I was given this many years ago, and was told it was the base of "an 88 shell" (someone can correct me if they know otherwise). The man that gave it to me was an Ameri

Default Ashtray made from artillery case

Hi everyone,

I was given this many years ago, and was told it was the base of "an 88 shell" (someone can correct me if they know otherwise). The man that gave it to me was an American officer who brought it back along with some other items. As he was a lifetime non-smoker, it seems an odd object to lug back to the US, but life is full of mysteries. I myself never took up the habit, so it probably hasn't had a cigarette in it since 1945.

I have no idea who actually made it (or where), as there are no markings on it other than the various "official" stampings a lot of additional generous whacks.

Best regards,

G. Kelly

Ashtray made from artillery caseAshtray made from artillery caseAshtray made from artillery case

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ashtray made from artillery case
    P
    Many

Nice item. I have a somewhat similiar (but rather more elaborate) piece, although this one was not made from a German shell casing. Hope this is of interest here:

P94 was the code for Kabel- u. Metallwerke Neumeyer A.-G., Nürnberg, Germany.

l F H - leichte FeldHaubitze light field howitzer - 10.5 cm weapon

It is indeed for the leichte Feldhaubitze...as indicated by the l.F.H Stamp...not from an 88, sorry..
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by Richie B View Post
    P94 was the code for Kabel- u. Metallwerke Neumeyer A.-G., Nürnberg, Germany.

l F H - leichte FeldHaubitze light field howitzer - 10.5 cm weapon
    Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    It is for the Infanterie Feldhaubitze...Infantry Field Howitzer, as indicated by the I.F.H Stamp...not from an 88, sorry..
    cheers, Glenn
    Thanks! For years I carried around the vague impression that it wasn't actually from an 8.8 cm cannon, and that's why I added the quotation marks. Sadly, the old saw about vets' tales where every artillery piece becomes an "88" and every tank was a "Tiger" is not altogether unfounded, and here is an example of it.

I have to confess that this thing has been stuffed away inside one box or another for over the nearly 50 years I have had it, being almost completely neglected all the while. Shabby treatment, indeed. I figured that someone here would be able to ID it, and sure enough that has happened!

Regards,

G. Kelly

Here is one I found recently. I smoke the occasional cigar... I've thought about using this...

Ashtray made from artillery caseAshtray made from artillery case

Seeing what looks like .50BMG rounds reminds me that I have another smoker's accessory (though not remotely "German Trench Art"). My uncle gave me this one, and - curiously enough - he wasn't a smoker either... in fact, he made life more pleasant for himself by trading or selling his issued cigarettes.

Maybe I'll put the lighter and the ashtray together someplace on the bookshelf.

Regards,

G. Kelly

Ashtray made from artillery caseAshtray made from artillery caseAshtray made from artillery case

Nice item but it seems to be unfinished ashtray.