Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can Anyone Figure Out What This Says??

Article about: Usually, I am fairly good with deciphering Trench Art writing, but This one has me baffled. It came with a set of 11 other pieces-all being German spelled names of Russian and Lithuanian tow

Default Can Anyone Figure Out What This Says??

Usually, I am fairly good with deciphering Trench Art writing, but This one has me baffled. It came with a set of 11 other pieces-all being German spelled names of Russian and Lithuanian towns and cities. The unit Was a German one but who knows if these may have been made by a foreign volunteer? Most of them are okey to make out, but This one has me scratching my head. Anybody out there know where this one is talking about? It Seems to read "Wessjutschij-Bor". I know that can't be right, but just what it actually Is referring to is a mystery. What do you think? If I get time (and a new pair of eyeballs), I'll see about posting the rest of the set, but for now, I'd be glad to just be able to read this one!

Can Anyone Figure Out What This Says??Can Anyone Figure Out What This Says??Can Anyone Figure Out What This Says??Can Anyone Figure Out What This Says??Can Anyone Figure Out What This Says??Can Anyone Figure Out What This Says??
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can Anyone Figure Out What This Says??
    P
    Many

Closest thing I could come up with is Stützpunkt Bor 003, a fire control station in France for tracking war ships. I don't know if it is related.
    NH

The other pieces are all,basically, from the East, like in Demjansk pocket, Novgorod region etc. and 2 are Lithuanian town names, so I don't know. The unit was the speedy response group of the 122nd Division. They ended their war time careers in Kurland. Some of the problems about these things is sometimes they used the Russian names, sometimes the German versions of the Russian names, or once in awhile, they just wrote location names without a city being nearby to identify it by.

It's odd that you mention the warship tracking station, though, as the guy I found it with had said that it was Kriegsmarine, even though the unit was clearly identified on the one piece.
    William

Surely no connection to a tracking station in France.

This is clearly a transliteration of the name of some place in the Soviet Union, but don't ask me where it is... The problem is that there are many differerent ways to transliterate a Russian/Cyrillic name into German, making it difficult to identify a place.

The component „Bor“ [forest, wood] is found in many Russian geographical designations.

hi ,

i also think that these trench art shell are made in russia(ukraine , belorussia). the pronounciation dont must be correct , it could be a small small town , with one street and 8 houses or a bigger town ( local district/county) .
    i think it was made by a german soldier , who didnt use the correct translation in german , "written how he had heard ". i have a messtin , its written on front with "minsck" and not with "minsk" , the correct german name .

cheers t.

This wouldn't be the 1st time I've ever seen a bizarrely spelled town name on a piece of German trench art. I suppose that since they were occupying the place that they didn't worry too particularly about how they wrote it. One Russian town like this, I've noticed, was called "Karbusselli". Apparently, a place that was well known to the Germans, as I've seen it written on the backs of German photographs, etc. "Here is me and my unit in Karbusselli!" but just where they were talking about, I've never quite figured out! One of the other shotglasses in this particular set has "Karbusselli" written on it. It must have been a memorable town!
    William

Yes indeed, I was way off. The spelling of towns and regions seems to be quite varied in Europe and the East. I'm thinking if you just sound out the syllables that a correct name might reveal itself. The actual inscription looks very German to me - quite similar to art work on mess tins and canteens. NH

Vesjutchi Bor is a village or small town somewhere is Ostfront (Russia, Belorussia, Ukraine). Try to write in in cyrillic and I'm sure You will find it.

Found it: весючий бор. It is a place in Northen Russia, in Demjansk pocket area.

Quote by ostfrontmilitaria View Post
    Found it: весючий бор. It is a place in Northen Russia, in Demjansk pocket area.
    Excellent news and research! Great job! I knew it had to be Somewhere around Demjansk, but the odd spelling kept confusing me! Much thanks and Much appreciated!!
    William