Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone help identify this ammo crate?

Article about: Hi guys, I wonder if any of you would be so helpful as to help me establish the year and original use for a crate I have just bought. I have done some research on the net and have yet to fin

Dils
    ?

Default Can anyone help identify this ammo crate?

Hi guys,

I wonder if any of you would be so helpful as to help me establish the year and original use for a crate I have just bought. I have done some research on the net and have yet to find a design like it though I freely admit I don't know what I am looking for!

It is dovetailed and it seems handmade which would suggest pre WWII and it has the name Heinrich Gock carved in to the front (possibly to cover the original contents label??). I cannot find any labels, stencils or marks. The shop owner said it was WWI and british, which makes the history of the german name sound even more intriguing. However, I would prefer to ask the experts.

I found it in an antique store and fell for it straight away... I would love to be able to date it and, if possible, try and find out more about the gentleman who made the carving. Any hints on the best way of doing that would also be gratefully recieved. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone help identify this ammo crate?   Can anyone help identify this ammo crate?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Can anyone help identify this ammo crate?

I believe it has nothing to do with ammo, for me it looks like another box for personal items. Could be a seaman or smth.