Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Christmas Stars from the Eastern Front

Article about: It being the Christmas Season, I thought I'd post these 2 little Stars. The one with 5 points was excavated from the Leningrad area and is inscribed(abit hard to read, of course) "Weihn

Default Christmas Stars from the Eastern Front

It being the Christmas Season, I thought I'd post these 2 little Stars. The one with 5 points was excavated from the Leningrad area and is inscribed(abit hard to read, of course) "Weihnachten 1941" and the star with 7 points was found outside of Stalingrad and is dated 1942. Not worth a whole lot, but simply an interesting couple of bits from the "Regular Joe's" of the German Army ,made from scrap metal and affixed to a little hand made tree to try to brighten up their miserable Christmas in the Russian Winters. Somehow, I doubt that they were too successful in this attempt...

Christmas Stars from the Eastern FrontChristmas Stars from the Eastern FrontChristmas Stars from the Eastern FrontChristmas Stars from the Eastern Front
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Christmas Stars from the Eastern Front
    P
    Many

Cool items

Nic
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

When I see these items I can picture a small group of cold, hungry, and miserable men huddled together, with thoughts of home and family...Thanks for posting!
    cheers, GLenn

Very interesting items which i'd love to own, Christmas must have been very grim on the Ostfront!...

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Very interesting items which i'd love to own, Christmas must have been very grim on the Ostfront!...
    Well then,why didn`t they just stay home?.........
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hmmm...Maybe because they lived in a dictatorship and didn't have the option of staying home? But I'm sure you already knew that, lol...My Opa wasn't asked if he would like to freeze his nuts off in Russia...he was told to go. Incidentally, I don't recall my father being asked if he'd like to go to Vietnam, but off he went anyway, lol...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 12-23-2013 at 08:09 PM.

?

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Well then,why didn`t they just stay home?.........
    They obviously believed in expanding the Christmas tradition Eastwards.

Quote by Scout View Post
    They obviously believed in expanding the Christmas tradition Eastwards.
    Hahahhaaaa nice one!...

?

Really nice friend.

?

I beileve the first star firstly was decoration of the soviet mass grave monument (wooden triangler with the star, on top, usually). Germans just removed it and engraved "Christmass 1941". Very interesting artefact.
    Professional military tours to WWI & WWII batllefields in Western and Eastern Europe: Rhine, Arnhem, Normandy, Ardenns, Narva front, Riga front, Kurland.
    http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blog...Tourist-Blog-2
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Narva...09290825813272
    http://narvaman.travellerspoint.com/2/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast