Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

grave marker ?

Article about: just got this from my favourite haunt on a buy it now, i think its from a grave marker but possibly could be a plaque from a house any suggestions welcomed, will post more pics when i get it

?

Default grave marker ?

just got this from my favourite haunt on a buy it now, i think its from a grave marker but possibly could be a plaque from a house any suggestions welcomed, will post more pics when i get it in hand,cheers dave
    Attached Images Attached Images grave marker ? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement grave marker ?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: grave marker ?

Looks like a grave marker,Geboren 1925...Gefallen 1944.But I`ve been wrong before.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

No your right. bit elaborate for a grave marker? But then again, he may have been well liked.

Still morbid, but its history. How much was it Dave? If you don't mind me asking?

Morbid indeed, but is an interesting piece. It would be nice for a collection as long as it was found in a heap of rubbish and not off of an existing grave.

Ty

It is an interesting and poignant item. Sometimes these things can be a good reminder of the real life and death background to the items we collect. I wonder if it could be family item which could have adorned a wall. Of course a grave marker is a real possibility.

It would be a great research project.

Cheers, Ade.

OKW
    ?

A lot of the markers put up contemporaneously were destroyed when the respective authorities interred the dead in the permanent cemetry. The original markers for ww1 dead spring to mind with the headstones all having to be the same. I have seen a photo of someone making a bonfire of these, possibly cwgc employee and of course they would have been a useful source of firewood the climate being what it is in northern france. German markers in the occupied territories would have been especially at risk. I wonder what happened to the cemetries with the pointed birch ss markers and a helmet on each in Russland. Its nice to see one preserved.

Hi Dave , i tried to buy this on Ebay a quite few weeks back , at that time a woman was selling it in the UK and wouldnt send it overseas so i missed out . a week or so later i was looking threw WAF and a guy had it on there , said he had bought it on ebay , tried to find out who they guy was threw one of the german organizations but came up with nothing . He was a bit bumed out , but it got reasonable comments on there forum , he must have to bumed out and put it back up for sale ,good score , cheers Raymond

?

Hi Raymond, yes i saw that thread,the guy who won it never paid for it as he said he was short on money,,so the woman relisted on a buy it now , rgds Dave

?

Quote by OKW View Post
    A lot of the markers put up contemporaneously were destroyed when the respective authorities interred the dead in the permanent cemetry. The original markers for ww1 dead spring to mind with the headstones all having to be the same. I have seen a photo of someone making a bonfire of these, possibly cwgc employee and of course they would have been a useful source of firewood the climate being what it is in northern france. German markers in the occupied territories would have been especially at risk. I wonder what happened to the cemetries with the pointed birch ss markers and a helmet on each in Russland. Its nice to see one preserved.
    Most of the Waffen SS and other German cemeteries in Russia were completley destroyed as soon as the Russians reconquered the territory.

I don't think this has come form a Military grave i think this is more a family plaque or similar.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Nice historical item. There was 3 German soldiers with the same name: Georg Lang, born in the same year and died in the same year. I could not read the month and day dates very well to get a better search. Could you post a better photo of the birth and death dates? I can not see the ones that were post with your thread.
    Last edited by warhog20; 10-08-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: wrong information

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast