Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help I.D. Wood Carving by GERMAN POW...

Article about: Hello everybody!!! I figured by topic's that this may be the right spot for this,If not please move to proper fourm area...Anyway a friend recently found this round well carved image of an a

Default Help I.D. Wood Carving by GERMAN POW...

Hello everybody!!! I figured by topic's that this may be the right spot for this,If not please move to proper fourm area...Anyway a friend recently found this round well carved image of an american indian.On the back there is a tapped on note say blah blah,No it reads that it was carved by a German WW2 pow,ANYBODY could have done that right!??! On closer inspection i notice either ink stamp or hand writting at lower right,It appears to read( I CAN NOT MAKE IT OUT) Bruno or Braun Waldau then some word i can NOT make out then what appears to be an address then Germay under that.
    Then it look's like P.W AND what might be amp(like in camp but maybe something befor that,letter...) then it look's like it read's Greene mass. under that usa then another word i can NOT make out...Obviously i can be reading this wrong...My research show's NO Camp Greene in Mass. Or any other state for that matter,There was camp's in mass & miss. One held mostly u-boat personal and the other i can not recall this was in Mass.
    So i'm at a standstill as nothing make's sence or coming together! I know research is a tedious beast but worth while!!!

So if anybody can help please do so...The colered writting on back is done by children over the yrs. At least it looks that way,There is a swastika and other mark on back( I'LL TRY AND GET A CLOSE UP OF IT )that is pressed in,NOT burned or carved,etc.Just wordering if prisinor did it as they were allowed to do many item w/nazi symbylism..U.S. was pretty lenient ya know!???!

Well thank you for looking & listening!!! HAPPY HUNTING to all!!!
    P.S.I'm working on better pics,These are bad...Anyway it's for hopeful info...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help I.D. Wood Carving by GERMAN POW...   Help I.D. Wood Carving by GERMAN POW...  

Help I.D. Wood Carving by GERMAN POW...   Help I.D. Wood Carving by GERMAN POW...  

Help I.D. Wood Carving by GERMAN POW...   Help I.D. Wood Carving by GERMAN POW...  

Help I.D. Wood Carving by GERMAN POW...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help I.D. Wood Carving by GERMAN POW...
    P
    Many

and why not,the Germans loved to carve wood.

?

They seem to like American Indians also.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    They seem to like American Indians also.
    Remember, who wrote the story of Winnetou...

?

Some U.S. military divisions used the Indian head as their insignia. Perhaps it could be related to that. In my opinion, the swastikas were probably added later by one of the kids who drew on the back.

Quote by Erno View Post
    Some U.S. military divisions used the Indian head as their insignia. Perhaps it could be related to that. In my opinion, the swastikas were probably added later by one of the kids who drew on the back.
    i too would think the swastikas were added by children although some U.S.P.O.W. Camp's were very lienient toward certain nazi symbolism,Thanks for input!!!...

Perhaps this insignia was used to present as a gift to a U.S. soldier
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help I.D. Wood Carving by GERMAN POW...  

Funny how those swastikas are obscured. Seems to
    be a hand drawn design done in red on the reverse
    that is mostly hidden by the taped note.........
    Regards,

Steve.