Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Snuff Box

Article about: Hi Chaps, I was shown this today by a mate & thought I'd post it as I've not seen one before. It's in bronze & screw topped with ribs around the edge & on the back is inscribed &

Default Snuff Box

Hi Chaps, I was shown this today by a mate & thought I'd post it as I've not seen one before. It's in bronze & screw topped with ribs around the edge & on the back is inscribed

"Stärke liegt nicht in der verteidigung sonden angriff Adolf Hitler 1943".

It looks like a snuff box to me. Any idea chaps?

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Snuff Box   Snuff Box  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Snuff Box
    P
    Many

Default Re: Snuff Box

Looks like the top was constructed from a cast of a 'Für Treue Dienste' faithful service civil medal.

Mat

Hi Mat, yeah that's right. But it's not crudely soldered on & is part of the thing. I looked at the edges to see if it once had a ring fitting for hanging on a ribbon; but there was no mark at all, Cheers, Richard.

I wonder if that medal design was used for a reason? Perhaps for those who earned them, though I guess it's just aesthetically pleasing for a general Third Reich design.

Mat

Yeah, I wondered if it was a fund raising piece for Civil Defense or something like that. Google translates the back as "Strength lies not in defense attack probes"?

Haha, I literally just put it through google translate myself. I figure it essentially means "Strength lies not in defence", while the other part doesn't translate properly directly. Sounds like a phrase glorifying the war effort, which I suppose did indeed require dedicated civil work too.

Mat

"Strength lies not in defence, but in attacking"

Gr. Theo.

Thanks stekker, that makes sense, cheers, Richard.

You're welcome.

Theo.

Poor engraving and mistakes in words (Angrieff, sonder with capital "S"). My opinion is that it is just a fake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast