Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stalingrad JG3 Shot Glass

Article about: by Glenn66 I think the shield might be a template for painting the unit insignia on aircraft and various squadron kit. BTW the shot glass this thread is based on sold for \\$293. \\$293 - Ohhh m

Default Stalingrad JG3 Shot Glass

Hi Guys,

I'm no expert in this area but this item has caught my eye and i'd like to read some opinions on it. It's claimed to be a trench art shot glass from the famous Jagdgeschwader 3 "Udet" ground dug from the site of Gumrak airfield in Stalingrad. I've bought from the seller before and so far have no reason to doubt he is anything other than a local Stalingrad digger.

The unit symbol appears to be a combination of the Jagdgeschwader 3 unit symbol and the symbol for the III Group.

Jagdgeschwader 3 unit symbol

III Group Symbol

Would it have been correct to combine the unit symbols like this?

Can anyone identify the shell case?

Last but not least, what would be a fair price to offer for something like this. For me it's a curio more than anything as i don't collect things like this usually.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Glenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad JG3 Shot Glass
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Stalingrad JG3 Shot Glass

Glenn i'm very friendly with a veteran of JG 3 who fought at Stalingrad , i have the full history of the unit at Stralingrad. III Gruppe was heavily involved in combat operations over the City from both Gumrak and Pitomnik until they withdrew west when the kessel was formed , however 9 Staffel remained at Pitomnik as the Platzshutzstaffel until late December 1942.

Price wise for trench art who can say !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Looks to me like an Oerlikon type of anti-aircraft round-most likely an German MG 151/20 20-82 calibre round -the standard German AA round for most of the war. As far as the combining of the symbols,no doubt there isn't all that much surface to work with on a shell case that size,so I imagine the "artist" took abit of liberty with it. If you'll notice,the design of the ax blade is quite different too. It's a interesting looking piece and I imagine that you'll end up paying a pretty decent penny for it if you win! It wouldn't surprise me to see it up into the several hundred dollar range.William

Thanks for the reply, its already over $225 now with 3 days to go...seems some people like this stuff way more than me, like I said, it's a curio to me but not a $500+ curio!

Nice shield-I wonder what it may have come off of? I also see on top of the frustratingly closed tin box in the photo,one of our old much discussed mystery diamond shaped tags! As far as I know,no one has Yet to actually figure out just what these things were or what they were used for! There are Some camps that won't even accept that they were genuine WWII era pieces,but there you go-there's one right out of the ground.

I think the shield might be a template for painting the unit insignia on aircraft and various squadron kit.

BTW the shot glass this thread is based on sold for $293.

It stencils for printing on airplanes, they were in the paint.
    They come with a Pitomnik.

Hi. I have examined the JG3 relic. It is made from a Soviet 25-mm cartridge case. I believe the associated WW2 period weapon would be the M1940 (72-K) automatic anti-aircraft gun. On September 7, 1942, elements of JG3 (Stab and III Gruppe) scored a number of kills in the vicinity of Stalingrad while operating out of support airfields at Pitomnik and, I presume, Gumrak which was nearby. Perhaps this "toasting cup" marked the successes that day?

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Nice shield-I wonder what it may have come off of? I also see on top of the frustratingly closed tin box in the photo,one of our old much discussed mystery diamond shaped tags! As far as I know,no one has Yet to actually figure out just what these things were or what they were used for! There are Some camps that won't even accept that they were genuine WWII era pieces,but there you go-there's one right out of the ground.
    The small tag is a Luftwaffe freight tag hundreds nay thousands have been found at Stalingrad and othewr locations where Luftwaffe bases were situated , i have seen many being dug at Stalingrad !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast