Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Trench Art Pin???

Article about: Hi! I just purchased this along with a lot of several other WWII German items. Can anyone tell me a little about this piece? I'm reasonable sure this is considered "Trench Art" sin

?

Default Trench Art Pin???

Hi! I just purchased this along with a lot of several other WWII German items. Can anyone tell me a little about this piece? I'm reasonable sure this is considered "Trench Art" since it's certainly one-of-a-kind. Appears to be sterling silver.

Measurements are: 2 5/8" wide by 3/4" high by 1/4" deep

Thanks!
    Dzyner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trench Art Pin???   Trench Art Pin???  

Trench Art Pin???  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Trench Art Pin???
    P
    Many

Default Re: Trench Art Pin???

Certainly not German. These designs used are Native American Indian.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ya, I agree Ade. Have you ever seen anything like it? Any idea where something like this would sell? I don't really want to keep it, its not something my collection would benefit from. If not, I guess I an always melt it down for the Silver value and sell it to my local jeweler. I hate to do that without knowing more about its history though.

I have only seen the eagle design before on Native American Indian art.

I would sell it on E Bay or the like.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Problem with eBay is that it has a Swastika on it. I may be able to do some tricks with the camera to make the Swastika less noticeable. Thanks for the idea though. I may give that a shot.

But it is a back to front swastika. I am sure if you play upon the Native American Indian angle it would not infringe their "PC" policies.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I see what you mean. I just checked eBay and there are several of this type of Native American Indian Swastika art. Looks like good (valuable) stuff. Good call Ade, thanks!!

?

Thumbs up Re: Trench Art Pin???

Ade is 101% correct.. List as Native American Indian jewelry,,they won't mess with you..

You'll get way more for that than silver scrap!
    You really should bring it by a competent jeweler to perform a silver content test. They can get pretty close so at least you'll know if its 800 or sterling [925], if silver at all! Might cost you $5. tops..
    If silver,,keep doing some checks and search as you might be pleasantly surprised at what it could be worth!.. Good luck with it..

?

Thanks G.B. I have it listed on eBay now, although no interest yet after a week. I'll leave it out there and see what it does.

Thanks again!
    Dzyner

I will repeat my comment on ``trench art``. The term is so often missuded. There is even embroidery attributed to trench art. Always have in mind that items made by soldiers close to the front line had only the simplest tools (if not affiliated to a workshop of any kind). They used wood, brass shells, etc. as the material and their pocket knives. How could anyone possibly make a pin in the trench? The needle attachment is not easy to make even for goldsmiths with full equipment and all possible tools, including hard soldering. Always put on the scale the craftsmanship needed and well known limited resources both in material and tools available to soldiers and there will be no mistake.