Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wondering...... can someone help?

Article about: Actually my grandfather did not tell the story, my grandmother did. My grampa would not speak of the things that happened while he was in the war to anyone but his wife. I am not going to sa

Default Wondering...... can someone help?

I have this thing and I am not sure exactly what it is. I am hoping someone can tell me and give me some information on it.
    Thank you, Tina

PS sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot,, :S
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wondering...... can someone help?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wondering...... can someone help?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wondering...... can someone help?

Interesting item...

OK,, so where did one get this from? I know that it was taken off a soldier in WW2, whether he was just carrying it around or whatever,, I dont know.. THanks again

- - Updated - -

unserm einheitsfuhrerfelduekrstattzug 6 weihn 1944 is what it says on it, but I dont know where the spaces are forsure

Disregard my earlier post...I was confused by the birth announcement used in the background...It appears to be an item placed on the cover of a photo album or scrapbook...with a dedication to the section leader of a military vehicle repair facility, on Christmas 1944...

Actually my grandfather had removed it off a dead soldier in WW2,,

I would go with a trench art item, a gift from a soldier/the unit to his/their unit leader, given to him as a Christmas present in 1944, I think the "felduekrstattzug 6(Most likely spelled wrong/wrong spacing)" is probably their unit. The eagle which is swooping down would be typical of Fallschirmjäger(Paratroopers), but it may not be the case here, who knows. Could we get some better pictures? Preferably of the writing.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

I'm sure the proper spelling is "Feldwerkstattzug" a Field Maintenance Unit.

i am REALLY straining my eyes to read that, but it looks like it says:

"Unserem Einheitsfuehrer
    Feldwerkstattzug 5 - Weihn. 1944"

This would be:

"To our squad (or 'unit') leader.
    Field Maintenance Unit 5 - Christmas 1944."

I realize, when you are looking at it there, you will see the "u" in "Einheitsfuehrer" is not followed with an "e" as I have done. This is just a grammatical thing I have to observe when typing it out because I don't have an umlaut "u" as is found on your item.

Also, because it is so difficult to see the writing in your photo, I can't quite tell if it was written "Feldwerkstattzug" or "Feldwerkstatt-Zug". I believe the later is the way you'd usually expect to see it written, but I'm not sure when you're whittling away in the trenches this stuff is very important.

Basically this is what Bigmacglenn1966 has already said.

Quote by tinasisson View Post
    Actually my grandfather had removed it off a dead soldier in WW2,,
    This is a popular mistake...these types of stories have grown over the past 70+ years. More than likely he found this while in occupation of some town or city. Could have even traded for it with other GI's.

I am not calling your Grandfather a liar...but this wasn't removed from a dead soldier.

Regards,
    Chrys

Looks to Me, anyway, like a nice little piece of trench art a fairly skilled guy made for his superior for Christmas 1944. If it was found on a dead soldier, the soldier was, quite likely, the guys boss who was given it to begin with. Apparently, he got into the wrong place at the right time and got himself killed, while still carrying around his Christmas gift in his pack or pocket.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast