Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bicycle experts! please take a look!

Article about: I have the chance to buy this Diamant bicycle. I was told that it was brought back from Germany after the war as a 'trophy'. Is it good? Sorry, the pictures are not the best quality. I'll se

Good Lord! Grab that first one for 150. Wish I had my hands on it! NH

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Good Lord! Grab that first one for 150. Wish I had my hands on it! NH
    I'm planning to! It's just, I may get two and I'm asking opinions of the others.

?

LMAO Big Ned!

Quote by big ned View Post
    It's missing the spring clips either side of the front forks that hold the two Panzerfaust's in place.

Other than that it's a solid old bike like the district nurse would ride here in the U.K.

Regards, Ned.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

ok, so called about the salty one (#2), made an offer of $85... guy responded with $2000... um, yea sure buddy.

But #1 I can get for around $100. Does anything look wrong with it?

So, picked it up yesterday. I'm noticing some flaws already...

Pedals are mismatched, been repainted (I think), has a soviet reflector...

Anyway, I'm looking for your opinions.

Ended up being only $130.

?

Looks like a good 1950s bike with wheels from the 60s maybe. Here's mine (as an example for a 50s bike) after I restored it and before I got the front mudguard mascot, a German civilian bike made between 1951 and 55, I've been searching for a pre 45 frame and parts but they're so expensive.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bicycle experts! please take a look!  

Nice bike!

According to one of the other posters, the frame can't be older than 1950 since the emblem was changed after 1950 but it was the same emblem pre war and wartime.

I'm sure that some parts on it are from post war Soviet bikes but I have to find and check the serial number on the frame to be sure.

Gonna restore it though.

?

That's a good observation and although I'm no expert, it does have a heavier, more solid look than many postwar emblems I've seen. Checking the frame number will tell you for sure.

Something I noticed when restoring mine is that average pre 1945 parts were blackened as opposed to chromed (pedals and handle bars chromed, lights, dynamo, saddle springs, hubs blackened steel). Front lights were larger and back lights smaller than post war, no pin holders for a pump on the frame, no doubt there were variations but those are points I noticed.

An issued army bike might be different, having all parts blackened. Check out the name Pallas, their parts seem to crop up on army issue bikes.

Here's a Diamant from the 30s, will give you something to aim for Google-Ergebnis für http://www.waffenrad.at/bilder_fahrrad/kundenr%25C3%25A4der/diamantrad_herrn/rad-1200.jpg

A Puch Waffenrad PUCH Truppenrad 1943 weitgehend original: Waffenrad

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    That's a good observation and although I'm no expert, it does have a heavier, more solid look than many postwar emblems I've seen. Checking the frame number will tell you for sure.

Something I noticed when restoring mine is that average pre 1945 parts were blackened as opposed to chromed (pedals and handle bars chromed, lights, dynamo, saddle springs, hubs blackened steel). Front lights were larger and back lights smaller than post war, no pin holders for a pump on the frame, no doubt there were variations but those are points I noticed.

An issued army bike might be different, having all parts blackened. Check out the name Pallas, their parts seem to crop up on army issue bikes.

Here's a Diamant from the 30s, will give you something to aim for Google-Ergebnis für http://www.waffenrad.at/bilder_fahrrad/kundenr%25C3%25A4der/diamantrad_herrn/rad-1200.jpg

A Puch Waffenrad PUCH Truppenrad 1943 weitgehend original: Waffenrad

Tony
    I've definitely seen that most of the Heer issued bicycles were blackened whether it be with paint or the actual steel. However, civilian bicycles, from what i've seen, were chromed and then possibly field painted when pressed into Heer service.

Here are some photos showing chromed bikes in service:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast