Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Captured British Sherman "Firefly" in German service

Article about: And here is that Panther Don't our chaps look happy Mind you, driving around in a Panther with all those Typhoons and Thuderbolts about must have been a tad dangerous. I'd have painted the b

Default Captured British Sherman "Firefly" in German service

Hi Guys, I thought this was an interesting photo showing several Shermans in German service. Note the use of many Balkan Crosses to advertise it was under German service. There is also a lot of spare track mounted to "up armour" the vehicle. The "Firefly" was the most effective Sherman to see service with the British Forces. It mounted the very efective British made 17prd gun. The middle Sherman tank is also a "Firefly".

Note also the captured British Airborne Jeep on the right with "WH" number plate on the front bumper. It carries the spare wheel from a British Airborne trailer too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Captured British Sherman "Firefly" in German service  

Default Re: Captured British Sherman "Firefly" in German service

That's something you don't see every day!

Thieving buggers !

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Thieving buggers !
    It's okay we got them back.

There is another quite well known pic of a Sherman "Firefly" in German service which can be seen in one or two books. It shows the tank coming through a hedge.

Cheers, Ade.

Here's some more...A Matilda re-fitted with a KwK L/42 5cm gun and 2 machine guns named'Oswald' being used in a wargame. Note the umpires with the white bands on.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Captured British Sherman "Firefly" in German service   Captured British Sherman "Firefly" in German service  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

.....A Mk III Cruiser of the XIII Panzer Regt.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Captured British Sherman "Firefly" in German service  
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

.....And finally, a couple of Valentines captured in Russia.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Captured British Sherman "Firefly" in German service   Captured British Sherman "Firefly" in German service  

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, I thought this was an interesting photo showing several Shermans in German service. Note the use of many Balkan Crosses to advertise it was under German service. There is also a lot of spare track mounted to "up armour" the vehicle. The "Firefly" was the most effective Sherman to see service with the British Forces. It mounted the very efective British made 17prd gun. The middle Sherman tank is also a "Firefly".

Note also the captured British Airborne Jeep on the right with "WH" number plate on the front bumper. It carries the spare wheel from a British Airborne trailer too.

Cheers, Ade.
    It is of interest to note that the centre tank in Ade's photo is fitted with a German KwK muzzle brake.

Here is a shot of the same tank from a different angle.

All these vehicles were apparently part of Pz Kpn.224 captured near Utrecht, Holland in July 1944.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Captured British Sherman "Firefly" in German service 

?

We could also go the opposite way with captured vehicles in use with the Allies.
    There are a few well known photos of a Panther tank in Allied service in 1944, but can I find any of them at present?...........Can I hell!!

The tank was renamed "Cuckoo" and used by guardsmen from 4th Coldstream Guards, 6th Guards Tank Brigade. (6th GTB were on Churchill's at the time)
    According to my late grandfather, a serjeant in 4th Grenadier Guards, it was well liked until its former owners took offence at it being used against them and finally destroyed it. Dont know what happened to the crew though. I suppose I will have to do a google search and have a look through my books to see what I can find.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast