MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Clock to Identify

Article about: Hi, i'm new to this site, i posted the following on a Motorbike Forum and was advised to post it here so here goes This clock was left to me by my Grandad who fought in WW2. The story is, it

Buz1200
    ?

Default Clock to Identify

Hi, i'm new to this site, i posted the following on a Motorbike Forum and was advised to post it here so here goes

This clock was left to me by my Grandad who fought in WW2. The story is, it came out of a German Tank, type unknown, real story unknown as he died in 1983 and I wasn't old enough to appreciate what he actually went through and according to my Mum (his Daughter) he wouldn't talk much about the War. The surround was made by a prisoner of war in exchange for soap or some such item.
    The clock has VDO and 8 Tage (8 days) it seems the 8 Tage refers to it lasting 8 days when wound up VDO seems to be a German clock manufacturing company

Has anyone any knowledge about this type of clock? It would be nice to find out some more history of it like what type of tank it came out of (possibly a basic clock that went into all types of vehicle)

Ya know, I have been looking off and on at this clock since it was posted.

This post is purely conjecture.

My feeling, even though I have spent some hours looking for it in books and on this interweb thingy, is: it is for a car rather than a tank. If you look at period cars from around that time, this type of clock is not uncommon, though normally they do have a longer stem. This looks far too fragile and ostentatious for a tank. If you have a serial number I may possibly be able to do something more, but can't guarantee it.

Cheers

Edit:
    If you go to an Horology Club they may be able to help you further.

A good one is here: Internet Horology Club 185

I agree - a tank would have a dark face with contrasting letters - but I'm sure they didn't have clocks as they would be shaken apart from the vibration.

Crews had watches anyway.......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

This dosn't look like a military item at all to me.

I'd go with a car clock, it kind of reminds me of the dash clock from an old split screen VW camper van!...

Buz1200
    ?

Thanks guys, ive also been looking at other sites etc and can concur with your thoughts. All the ones i've come across are black and mostly round. Yes they certainly look a lot tougher than the one I have.
    Oh well, i'll never really now the true story behind it but it was definately bought back from WW2 by my Grandad but other than that I have no idea really.

This is not a military clock. Its a good quality clock, VDO is a good brand, but it is not a military clock. Its a '30's travel clock. If it was ever near a German Panzer, it was because the Panzer drove by.