Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Falaise Jagdpanther Unit Marking

Article about: Just been searching for more info on this , 2 Jagdpanthers from this unit were knocked out by Scots Guards Churchills of 6th Guards Armoured Brigade during Operation Bluecoat , south of Caum

?

I'll second that.
    (not least because I hinted at the same (fable animal)).

?

Hi people, my just 2pennorth,

This also looks like a Wyvern/Griffin type creature to me also guys!

Also, if you look carefully on an enlargement of the original posting, the zimmeritt appears to have been removed from underneath before the image was painted on the vehicle, as can been seen on various other vehicles in period photo's. To my eye, there are no obvious ridges etc going through the marking, which I would expect to see if it had been painted on later by a, for example, capturing unit.

Therefore, my own conclusion, right or wrong, is that the device painted on this vehicles hull plate is therefore a crew affectation or possibly an unknown/unconfirmed unit device.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 03-03-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Addition/Grammar

?

Were one to play devils advocate, one could say, that the removal of Zimmerit and placing a symbol on the blank spot, would be an indicator of an enemy 'kill' marking, as it would hardly have been in the interest of the crew of deliberately removing any non-magnetic coating.
    But one suggestion is as good as the other at this point, so Im not saying, that you are wrong.

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Were one to play devils advocate, one could say, that the removal of Zimmerit and placing a symbol on the blank spot, would be an indicator of an enemy 'kill' marking, as it would hardly have been in the interest of the crew of deliberately removing any non-magnetic coating.
    But one suggestion is as good as the other at this point, so Im not saying, that you are wrong.
    Normally, I would wholeheartedly agree with you on that one mate, BUT, as I said, there are confirmed period photos of this having been done, and can I find any at present? Can I heckers like!

?

Ive no reason to doubt you and you make a good point.
    Further more, the (relative) small(-ish) blank spot needed for the symbol might not have made much difference in regards to making a 'weak' spot in the Zimmerit material anyhow.
    In conclusion, I certainly find it plausible, that it could be a unit marking as well at this point.

.............ohhh, and best of luck finding the period pics. Never there, when needed, ey

?

As has been pointed out only one unit equipped with the Jagdpathers 2 Kompanie s Panzerjager Abt 654 was deployed in Normandy , only 12 were used in Normandy and 2 were knocked out on the 30th July by British Churchill Tanks south of Caumont . The only photos i have seen of them in Normandy show the retreat to the Seine crossing at Elbeuf and no tac sign can be seen on the front armour . To me this definately looks to be the Wessex Wyvern , the Dragon of England TAC sign of the 43 (Wessex ) Infantry divison.

It is possible that this Jagdpanther has been marked as a Battlefield prize for the Division.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I found it !!!

Falaise Jagdpanther Unit Marking

font: wydawnictwo book
    Jedem das Seine

It could possibly be one of the Jagdpanthers of 9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen that fought a fighting retreat through the pocket and suffered heavy losses along the way, one being at Hill 112 near Maltot where they were in action against 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division. So a possibility perhaps?

Edit: Premature again......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

The third photo is a different vehicle, either recovery Panther, or damaged Panther. I would think a recovery [turretless] Panther.

SF.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    It could possibly be one of the Jagdpanthers of 9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen that fought a fighting retreat through the pocket and suffered heavy losses along the way, one being at Hill 112 near Maltot where they were in action against 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division. So a possibility perhaps?

Edit: Premature again......
    Ned that's interesting info mate , i've never read anywhere before that the Hohenstaufen were equipped with Jagdpanthers in Normandy only Panthers in I Abt and Panzer IV's and Stug III's in the II Abt ??
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast