Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German WW2 style moped

Article about: For a few years now ive wanted to make a motorized bicycle. I thought it would be a fun way to commute to the store and back while at my family's vacation property. So a few months ago I fou

Default German WW2 style moped

For a few years now ive wanted to make a motorized bicycle. I thought it would be a fun way to commute to the store and back while at my family's vacation property. So a few months ago I found the perfect bike for this project, an old cruiser bike that had been sitting in our storage since hurricane Harvey. I took the bike home, and ordered an engine kit online to start the project.

When the kit arrived and I started to work on the first stages of the project, I had an idea pop in my head. Why not make give this bike a German WW2 look? Since im a collector of Third Reich militaria 'Like the other many fine gents on this forum' I liked this idea, and decided to run with it. The first course of action I took was to repaint the bike completely. One of my all time favorite German paint schemes is the iconic DAK camo, so I decided to go with that. I tried my best to replicate the DAK camo paint, maybe someone here can give me their opinion on how close I got? After I repainted the bike, I tackled the other cosmetics. I replaced the seat with a more vintage looking one, switched out the handle bars for ones that better look the part, added an East German back pack to the rack section, replaced the pedals with 1960s era West German pedals, added a large headlight, and the cherry on top an original WW2 era motorcycle license plate on the front fender.

The license plate was ground dug in Stalingrad, and had no original paint left. I restored it to the best of my abilities, and decided to make it a Wehrmacht plate. In my opinion the original period license plate really sets this bike off. After all of that was done I then installed the engine kit. It was quite challenging for me to do this part, but considering this is my first time doing something like this, I wasn't surprised. As of right now I would say the bike is 98% complete. I want to add a Yugo M53 ammo box to the other side, and a rear license plate to match the front one.

I just wanted to share this project with you guys, and see what you all think. This is just a fun thing ive been working on in my spare time. Ive done a few test rides, and its already turning heads. Ill make sure to update this thread when the bike is 100% complete.

Best regards- Jarret

German WW2 style mopedGerman WW2 style mopedGerman WW2 style mopedGerman WW2 style moped

Looks good and must be fun to ride, how fast can it go?

?

That looks pretty cool! You could make the light at the front into a blackout light as well!

Thanks! The max speed is 40 Miles per hour.

Best regards- Jarret

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Thanks! The max speed is 40 Miles per hour.

Best regards- Jarret
    Nice I like it even more now!

Nice to see the results of this project, after you mentioning it to me a while back. It's turned out very well! Certainly a unique way to get around town. Can only imagine what the neighbors must think!

'Look, Jeff. There goes that guy on the crazy German bike again!'

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Nice to see the results of this project, after you mentioning it to me a while back. It's turned out very well! Certainly a unique way to get around town. Can only imagine what the neighbors must think!

'Look, Jeff. There goes that guy on the crazy German bike again!'

Regards, B.B.
    I was working on it in the driveway the other day, and my neighbors were really staring at me when they passed LoL

Best regards- Jarret

Well that's a new one on me, but i love it!! Well done, a great way of incorporating some original "bits" onto a bit of fun! Enjoy!!!! Leon.

I really appreciate the support! Im going to take out for a spin in a few days, going to be a lot of fun for sure.

Best regards- Jarret

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    That looks pretty cool! You could make the light at the front into a blackout light as well!
    Thanks Jb! That sounds like an awesome idea to me. I should look into that.

Best regards- Jarret

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast