MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Infantry Trailer (if8) - First Model

Article about: As mentioned in the 3 ton half track thread I have this trailer to restore. Attachment 1310976 I have made a start on the wheels. The first wheel is now in red primer and the second is about

Quote by lennard View Post
    Hi Granatwerfer,

Good luck with your restoration of these interesting little trailers, but is it possible you can give the makers code, date and serial number of it, it should all be stamped on the front triangular gusset or thereabouts.

There are many different makers of these trailers and it would be good to know who made this one.

cheers lennard
    Hi lennard

Could not find the info. you were asking about. The vertical gusset has been replaced and the 2 flat ones on either side of the centre tube are too rusty to tell. May find the info on these when I start to clean them. Most of this section including the tube have been replaced by a previous owner who started the restoration and who used the wrong size tube, internal diameter smaller. Original tow bars will fit after the end of their shafts have been modified, which was also carried out by the previous owner.

Hi Granatwerfer,

Thats a shame, but thanks for looking, the number of manufacturers of these trailers is not known exactly, so there is always the possibility of an owner, like yourself, having one with as a yet an unknown makers code.

The information would be found on the vertical gusset, this gusset was eliminated over time, so the data was then on the horizontal triangles, and even sometimes on the narrow bent over edge of these trianbles. For the later simplified framework trailers all the data was stamped on the rear panel of the cargo box itself.

FYI, mine, a full frame trailer like yours, is coded "fcv" for Schmit, Kranz & Co of Nordhausen, serial number 1973 dated 1942.

One day the whole manufacturing list will be known I am sure.

cheers lennard

Good luck with the restoration always good to revive things before the rust monster destroys it and it's gone forever.

Quote by lennard View Post
    Hi Granatwerfer,

Thats a shame, but thanks for looking, the number of manufacturers of these trailers is not known exactly, so there is always the possibility of an owner, like yourself, having one with as a yet an unknown makers code.

The information would be found on the vertical gusset, this gusset was eliminated over time, so the data was then on the horizontal triangles, and even sometimes on the narrow bent over edge of these trianbles. For the later simplified framework trailers all the data was stamped on the rear panel of the cargo box itself.

FYI, mine, a full frame trailer like yours, is coded "fcv" for Schmit, Kranz & Co of Nordhausen, serial number 1973 dated 1942.

One day the whole manufacturing list will be known I am sure.

cheers lennard
    Hi lennard

I will keep looking you never know. Some of the other parts, like the hubs and shafts have maker codes, dates and waffenampts, but are not original to this trailer.

Do you have any spares as I am looking for two of the parts in the attached picture. Mine are usable but in very poor condition.

Infantry Trailer  (if8) - First Model

Over the last couple of weeks have managed to restore the hubs and swing arms to red primer stage, the hubs have all new bearings. Will paint them sand when I have restored the suspension spring housings, which are next on the list.

Infantry Trailer  (if8) - First ModelInfantry Trailer  (if8) - First ModelInfantry Trailer  (if8) - First ModelInfantry Trailer  (if8) - First Model

Hi,

Your restored parts are looking good, but I do not have the parts you are asking about, I used to have a lot of parts, but all gone, over several years I restored 17 of these trailers, in amongst the other vehicles I was restoring, sort of infill jobs, but all very interesting.

Many were used in pairs with specific equipment designated for the pair, whilst most were of course just empty trailers for general use. But there were whole infantry company's equipped with them, maybe 90 to 100 a company., and some served as ammunition limbers for artillery and anti-tank guns.

FYI. Photos of my trailer and its horse shafts and harness etc.,

cheers Paul

Paul

Have sent you a PM.

Yesterday managed to paint the suspension parts and the inside of the tub for the trailer. The outside of the tub is not painted as I have to mount the ash strips to the inside which need riveting on, awaiting the ash. Stripping and painting the frame is the last major job. This is going to take a long time.

Infantry Trailer  (if8) - First ModelInfantry Trailer  (if8) - First ModelInfantry Trailer  (if8) - First Model

Work continues on the trailer frame but at a slow pace. I have managed although to rivet the Ash stripping to the inside of the tub this week.

Infantry Trailer  (if8) - First ModelInfantry Trailer  (if8) - First Model

Not much of an update.

Work continues at a slow pace on cleaning and painting the frame. Today I did manage to weld on the front catches that hold the curved tow bar and a new mounting plate for the rear reflector. Have attached a few pictures, ones show the curved tow bar fitted.

Infantry Trailer  (if8) - First ModelInfantry Trailer  (if8) - First ModelInfantry Trailer  (if8) - First ModelInfantry Trailer  (if8) - First Model

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast