MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

King Tiger restauration - help needed -

Article about: Hallo I was in the Normandy and 2 weeks ago and meet a very interesting guy from Switzerland. We where talking about our hobby and he mentioned that he is currently restoring a King Tiger. I

?

Default King Tiger restauration - help needed -

Hallo

I was in the Normandy and 2 weeks ago and meet a very interesting guy from Switzerland. We where talking about our hobby and he mentioned that he is currently restoring a King Tiger. I was like wtf He is working in the Festungsmuseum and they have a lot of more tanks including a StugIII.

He told me that the Tiger is in a very nice condition outside, but inside most of the stuff is missing. The engine is there but they want to make this baby running again.

The team would need help in finding engine parts (mostly in russia)
    and constuction drawings from the engine

Here are some pics and a link to the museum, rich member can apply to a membership and have a free ride with this Killer Tank

Here is the link index.html

Herbert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture King Tiger restauration - help needed -   King Tiger restauration - help needed -  

Default Re: King Tiger restauration - help needed -

That will be and interesting feat and one that i hope turns out successful for the restorer. The problem with the engines on a king tiger is the engine block. They have a weak point and finding an original that does not have the problem will be the challenge. There were not alot of these tanks produced and parts were always hard to come by even during the war. There are not many King Tigers that have survived and only a few of them have an original engine. Anyway it's a great story and i hope to see that baby run someday original engine or not. Beautiful tank!

rgds, Ty

Quote by Ostmark View Post
    Hallo

I was in the Normandy and 2 weeks ago and meet a very interesting guy from Switzerland. We where talking about our hobby and he mentioned that he is currently restoring a King Tiger. I was like wtf He is working in the Festungsmuseum and they have a lot of more tanks including a StugIII.

He told me that the Tiger is in a very nice condition outside, but inside most of the stuff is missing. The engine is there but they want to make this baby running again.

The team would need help in finding engine parts (mostly in russia)
    and constuction drawings from the engine

Here are some pics and a link to the museum, rich member can apply to a membership and have a free ride with this Killer Tank

Here is the link index.html

Herbert
    I love the malevolent beauty of these beasts!

The best tank ever!

I have made so many models of the KT. To ride in one would be a dream come true

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

That is one beautiful beast.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Smile Re: King Tiger restauration - help needed -

A worthy cause.

Cheers Brookes.

Spindler
    ?

Tell him to get in touch with Kev Wheatcroft here in the UK, a notable collector who is currently restoring a Panther (1 of 3 he has) and also collecting pieces together for his own Kink Tiger. I'm sure he would help if he could. Link to his website below;

Wheatcroft Collection

?

Thanks a lot for your help
    I have already send the information to the guy in Switzerland

LouPal
    ?

Hello? Sounds like a perfect candidate for a supercharged big-block Chevy engine swap.

Just so we don't get off topic here...

Herbert, please keep us posted as to the progress of the restoration.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

I know that in both resent Panther restorations undertaken by the late Jacques light field and also Kevin wheatcroft a large percentage of the engine had to be remanufactured due to just not being available "off the shelf" I also know that they pooled resources on what spares they had to complete both projects.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "