Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Mercedes Hubcap.Stalingrad.

Article about: Hi guy's, I have just won this nice item from a seller on ebay who specialize's in item's dugout from the former German 6th army airfield at Gumrak.Most item's are from a huge bunker they ha

Default Mercedes Hubcap.Stalingrad.

Hi guy's,
    I have just won this nice item from a seller on ebay who specialize's in item's dugout from the former German 6th army airfield at Gumrak.Most item's are from a huge bunker they have unearthed full of personal item's and unwanted vehicle part's.This is the first hubcap i have been able to win and i am seeking to identify it asap
    I think it's from a Staff car such as a 38 cabriolet as it's decorative and was originally chrome plated but probably over painted in filed grey for wartime use.What do you guy's think?

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mercedes Hubcap.Stalingrad.   Mercedes Hubcap.Stalingrad.  

Mercedes Hubcap.Stalingrad.   Mercedes Hubcap.Stalingrad.  

?

Default Re: Mercedes Hubcap.Stalingrad.

I think it's a decorative plate put on the wheels, the same small factory badge that you notice also in today's cars

its the inner part that covers up the lugs of the weel merc still does it to this day

if you want to know if it has been fieldpaited you need to look close and see if you can find any remnants...no disrespect Tom ill try and do some research

Hi faso,
    Thank's for the comment.Yes i agree as it's only about the size of a small plate and would only cover the central area or hub of the wheel.I would love to find a photo of the actual type of car used on the front line that this could be from
    I also have a large fuel cap with the exact same emblem and also in chrome finish too
    Tom

Thank guy's,
    I have inspected the cap very closely and it has no sign's of paint.It has been cleaned after it was dugout so thet may have removed any remain's of paint left behind.I have several part's from Mercedes that have been dugout in Poland and Russia so they were highly used on the front line's.See also my steering wheel centre of which i have 2 example's now
    Tom

and whith these caps (lug covers) they used the same style for a few years so yu cant really define it to a "year" but it is war time! so Im trying to get a good pic of the same style lug cover on a war time vehicle.

"just trying to help and learn at the same time"

Justin

Thankyou Justin,
    Your input is most appreciated I can't find any photo's that are close enough in detail to match the cap but i'm sure a book that detail's them will help.I would guess it's anywhere from 1938 to 41 unless they made them later still.
    Cheer's mate

Tom