Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

My U-Boat Clock

Article about: This is my Kieninger & Obergfell U-Boat clock. When I received it, it wasn't working.. so there was no way I was having that, so of it went to my "clocky friends". So, after a

Default My U-Boat Clock

This is my Kieninger & Obergfell U-Boat clock.

When I received it, it wasn't working.. so there was no way I was having that, so of it went to my "clocky friends".

So, after a good clean and some TLC, the problem was finally found.

A repair was made in the sixties and the part that was used ( a spring) was a similar British part. Not German.

So, a correct German spring was sent for and now the clock is ticking away like mad.

It's as good as new.

The British spring part was useless, when it was lying flat, the clock worked..

When it was put upright, it stopped

It was a tiny pressure spring that wasn't working, as it was a wrong replacement British part.

Only after numerous attempts, and a careful "clocky" persons eye, that finally, the offending pressure screw was identified.

A proper German pressure spring was the order of the day, and now it's all systems go!

Totally indebted to:

The Clock Workshop
    West Kirby
    Wirral
    CH48 4HA.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U-Boat Clock   My U-Boat Clock  

My U-Boat Clock  

Don't want to sound pedantic but this style of clock was used on Kriegsmarine surface ships, do you have provenance it was from a U boat?...

It's only small Gunny, and I checked with the U-Boat we have near Liverpool and the Bulkhead clocks are the same size.

So although I can't say for sure which boat it came off, it was from a smaller vessel.

The History

?

I was led to believe clocks without a serial number on the face where used in staff headquarters, and not aboard a vessel. Or maybe that's just an old wives tale. Nice clock either way.

?

Cool

I've had one of those for years and like yours, it didn't work, and was missing the glass. Took it to a clock repair friend and he found that the only thing wrong with it was someone had put one part in backwards. He also gave me a key to wind it. Works like a charm for the past 50 yrs.
    My clock has a 7" face and is 4" deep with 3 mounting arms to bolt it to a wall. In addition to the Km eagle mine has 1330 over N on the opposite side. I believe this is for the Nordsee fleet?
    Here is a photo with the cover open:
    Sarge
    My U-Boat Clock

?

Very nice clocks guys

Testament to german engineering !

Quote by duska View Post
    I was led to believe clocks without a serial number on the face where used in staff headquarters, and not aboard a vessel. Or maybe that's just an old wives tale. Nice clock either way.
    Would a Staff building have a heavy bulkhead clock on the wall, rather than a normal clock?

Could it have been a replacement clock, for a damaged one? - the list could go on..

Just my thoughts..

?

That is a good point, hence why it could be just an old wives tale.

Although by January 1945 all stocks had been used up and replaced by Junghans. So as a replacement clock probably not.

There is an interesting document that can be downloaded from google Nr. 2456. Dienstanweisung that shows which vessels had these clocks.