Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

panzer IV H Das Reich Normandy 44

Article about: hi guys need a lil info does anyone know if Das Reich panzerIV's still used regimental insignia on the vehicles during the normandy operations and if so where were they located all help appr

Default panzer IV H Das Reich Normandy 44

hi guys need a lil info does anyone know if Das Reich panzerIV's still used regimental insignia on the vehicles during the normandy operations and if so where were they located all help appreciated

Default Re: panzer IV H Das Reich Normandy 44

In 1944, most German Panzers tended to eliminate anything bright or obvious from there tanks, and give them a camouflauged colour, as American fighter/bombers tended to hunt them down. When they did carry insignias, they tended to be just forward of the turrets double side hatches

yeah i know about the camo etc it was the regimental insignia on the hull i was looking for usually by the drivers or radio operatores ball mount

Hello mate,

The Das Reich Division in Normandy were one of only two SS divisions to retain regimental insignia at that time of the war, the other was Hitlerjugend.

The shield of it's commander Prince Schonberg-Waldenburg (Red and white diagonal lines) k.i.a. 11 June '44 was displayed on the rear turret schurzen to the upper right of the tactical numbers. The divisional symbol was a white script 'L'. Many tanks carried company markings next to a small white rhomboid outline on the front and rear hulls. The yellow kampfrune was displayed on the far left rear plate, just right of the antenna mount. It was also on the hull front, next to the drivers vision port. Hope this helps a bit.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hello mate,

The Das Reich Division in Normandy were one of only two SS divisions to retain regimental insignia at that time of the war, the other was Hitlerjugend.

The shield of it's commander Prince Schonberg-Waldenburg (Red and white diagonal lines) k.i.a. 11 June '44 was displayed on the rear turret schurzen to the upper right of the tactical numbers. The divisional symbol was a white script 'L'. Many tanks carried company markings next to a small white rhomboid outline on the front and rear hulls. The yellow kampfrune was displayed on the far left rear plate, just right of the antenna mount. It was also on the hull front, next to the drivers vision port. Hope this helps a bit.

Regards, Ned.
    You are describing the Panzer Lehr Regiment Ned , commanded by Prince Schonberg-Waldenburg , the Panzer Regiment Das Reich was commanded by SS Obersturmbannfuhrer Christian Tychsen,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

A good excuse to get Eric Lefevre's marvellous book 'Panzers in Normandy Then and Now' off the shelf again.

According to that, this picture shows two PzKpfw IV Aus Js of 6th Company SS-Panzer Regiment 2 (Das Reich) knocked out at St Fromond between Carentan and St Lo around 9 July. Lefevre's caption points out the faint yellow 'Kampfrune' painted on the rear of each tank. I've highlighted them in said yellow to make sure they read.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture panzer IV H Das Reich Normandy 44  

Thats pretty conclusive ! Sounds like a good book !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

thanks guys iv been waiting eagerly for the answers as its going on the model i made of a PIVH sadly the client has now decided its going to be placed at kursk instead of normandy so iv now gotta know the markings for that location instead and i know das reich used more than one emblem for its divisional markers i always try to be as accurate as possible and its always nice to have the right info from guys who have a better knowledge of this than myself

although of note i thought lsah tanks also kept the marikings on the tigers during the normandy offensive i have to do wittmans last tiger at some stage too lol

Don't see markings on any of the Panzer IVs in my Kursk books. There are some on Tigers which are consistent with this site.