Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Recently bought a (Artillery??) shell - Need clarification of what is was used in!

Article about: Hi, i'm new to this forum and i didn't know what section to post this under so i apologize in advance if this is incorrect. I recently bought a shell (Was buried in neighbors loft for years

Default Recently bought a (Artillery??) shell - Need clarification of what is was used in!

Hi, i'm new to this forum and i didn't know what section to post this under so i apologize in advance if this is incorrect.

I recently bought a shell (Was buried in neighbors loft for years until they did a clearout!) and i was wondering if it was an artillery shell. I would also like to know what it would've been used in.

Inside the shell, there is a bullet shaped piece of metal with holes in. I assume it is brass because the outside is shiny, but unfortunately the inside has gone a light shade of blue due to rusting which has occured. Below are the pictures (Sorry about the picture quality, just taken a few quick snaps on my phone!).

The inside showing the bullet shaped piece of metal with holes in.

The side showing the shiny brass.

Picture of the bottom, not sure which was you read the letters from but i can read them out if you can't see them.

Another picture of the bottom.
    Thanks for looking, and i appreciate any time spent looking! If you require any more information, i'll be happy to tell!

Default Re: Recently bought a (Artillery??) shell - Need clarification of what is was used in!

Seems to be a problem with the embedded URLs above, so reposting corrected:

Default Re: Recently bought a (Artillery??) shell - Need clarification of what is was used in!

The picture is rather blurred so I am having trouble reading the headstamps. It looks as though it was made in 1980 and appears to be a practice round of some description. The figure at 12 o'clock looks like it might read 76 but I can't be sure. Can you take a better (in focus) picture please ?

Steve T

?

Short answer, unless I am mistaken, its fairly modern, (ie: still in use), 105mm Blank round.

Should be able to let you know for definate tomorrow, (Monday) when I get chance to speak to my son, (he's in RHA)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Ah, well that was a bit of a letdown as i wasn't hoping it was modern! Thanks for the help Steve and Jimpy, not the news i wanted but i must still thank you for taking a look at it. I will try and get another picture later if i get time. Thanks again.

Oops, doublepost.

It occurred to me to google L40A1, which I should have done last night...

105 mm L40A1 and L38A1 FD blank cartridges (United Kingdom) - Jane's Ammunition Handbook

?

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Short answer, unless I am mistaken, its fairly modern, (ie: still in use), 105mm Blank round.

Should be able to let you know for definate tomorrow, (Monday) when I get chance to speak to my son, (he's in RHA)

Regards etc

Ian D

Just spoken to "junior" (!). Its definately a modern 105mm catridge case.

Regards etc

Ian D

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Was hoping it would be slightly dated but i don't have any knowledge in artillery so it's a shame, but what can you do. Thanks for the link and time!