Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rommels Grief

Article about: Is there any info out there about the fate of Rommels 251's GRIEF and ADLER? Where they left in country, reissued or captured??? Always wondred for some reason, I have seen pics of a restore

?

Default Rommels Grief

Is there any info out there about the fate of Rommels 251's GRIEF and ADLER? Where they left in country, reissued or captured??? Always wondred for some reason, I have seen pics of a restored 251 in GRIEF colours.

Default Re: Rommels Grief

Rommels 251's GRIEF
    It's Rommels GREIF meaning Griffin

Jean

?

The first 1/32 scale vehicle model that I made was the old Airfix kit of this particular vehicle...............MANY years ago!!

I would also be interested to know what happened to it, especially considering that his old adversary's, (Montgomery), campaign caravan is on display in the UK.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

CMc
    ?

Wasn't Greif a 250 rather than a 251? They look very similar but the 250 is shorter.

There doesn't seem to be much online about them unfortunately, but I did find references to Greif and Adler on this site,
    http://www.afvnews.org/greif.html
    where they also have a photograph of a third 250 with a name painted on the sides, this one named Igel.

No info on their fate or whereabouts though.
    Rommel also used a captured, armoured AEC Matador command vehicle, (the type nicknamed 'Dorchester' by British troops, after the famous hotel), but whether it was a replacement for Greif I don't know, and if so what happened to Greif is still unknown.

?

Hi CMc

Of course you are correct, it was a sdKfz 250 NOT 251, dont know how I failed to remember that one mate.
    BTW, love the set of photos that you've posted, Ive seen a couple of them before, but the others are new to me.

Regards etc

Ian D

?

Yes I do apologise for the mispelling and calling it a 251 instead of a 250....was just curious as to the fate of this vehicle!

I made a tamiya 1/35 scale version as a kid and recently started another, the name on the side always impresed me

If you got to the "surviving panzers website" and go to the 251/250 halftrack page there is a colour photo of a restored example painted as Greif......t be possible?????

lordraptor1
    ?

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Hi CMc

Of course you are correct, it was a sdKfz 250 NOT 251, dont know how I failed to remember that one mate.
    BTW, love the set of photos that you've posted, Ive seen a couple of them before, but the others are new to me.

Regards etc

Ian D

yes correct greif was an Sdkfz 250/3 to be exact, as far as its known status location is a mystery but i am goign to assume it was destroyed and until proof shows up i will continue to think it was destroyed or recycled. sadly a lot of WWII german military items were destroyed at teh end of the war and to this day ( from what i hear) it is illegal to own any german WWII militaria in germany. thank goodness it is legal in the USA but it has one drawback and that is the libtards have now classed all tanks, armor, etc. WMD so they can no longer be imported ( stupid hippy libtards trying to hide our history is just sickening).

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rommels Grief  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Rommel's Horch Kfz21 is owned by Mike Gibb's of the SdKfz Foundation