Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Sd. Kfz. 251 Wheels

Article about: Ah...it seems it's "relic-day" day for me... One more question: Can you guys confirm for a fact, that these are "NSU Kettenkrad HK 101 SdKfz 2" wheels? Or maybe another S

Hi guys,

Thought I’d share this hybrid set of an axle and halftrack wheels I picked up recently.

The wheels themselves are, I believe, from a 251 chassis and both show evidence of battle damage and subsequent repair as well as retaining a small amount of tyre.

The hubs appear to have been originally from an IF8 trailer. The hub plate shows evidence of having 4 bolt holes filled with 6 new holes drilled to fit the wheels. Each has a different hub cap, one octagonal showing original paint and the other more rounded. The bearings inside were made in Sweden still look factory fresh.

The axle itself is still a mystery. It has had the wheel mounting pins from the IF8 welded onto each end but the main ‘body’ itself does not look familiar. Could this also be an original German part? Could this ensemble have been put together during the war? I suspect not but it seems like a lot of effort just to cobble together a trailer for around the farm.

Sd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 Wheels

well, that really IS a hybrid and a challenge although I'm not smart enough to crack it for you. The two bits (Wheels and hubs) certainly look WW2 and as you describe...but that axle is a strange one...and it can't have been a comfortable ride for anyone sitting on the trailer!! :-)

not wishing to appear to "blow smoke", but your pics/presentation are excellent - 'really clear...and not a camo net in sight!

How are your knuckles? :-)

Hello,

Here's my humble contribution to this great thread.

Firstly and most importantly a very big fat thank you to marvellous forum member Granatwerfer who I purchased the wheel in question from and helped out in giving the best advise as to what to do. To start with I thought a wire brush and a little elbow grease would do the trick! Nope, wrong on all counts, and in no small part thanks to Granatwerfer who put me on the right track. I forgot to take any pictures of the wheel in bare metal, but other than that I hope you can see the progress.
    I have spotted the number 22 in a box on the tyre, and on the other side deka the manufacture. You can only see the top of the word 'deka' as the rest is covered by the metal rim.
    A lot of hard work, but very rewarding. Again many thanks to Granaterfer.

Jonathan.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sd. Kfz. 251 Wheels   Sd. Kfz. 251 Wheels  

Sd. Kfz. 251 Wheels   Sd. Kfz. 251 Wheels  

This isn't my field...but I'm interested......Looking at Tank Spotters post/pics and those from Jonathan it seems that hub removal was quite common....was this a result of the removal of the cylindrical joint when wheels were originally paired on the vehicles or was it to be able to use the wheels for other purposes? Tank Spotter's examples seem to have been re-worked to fit a different axle???...actually I'm not sure if his questions have been addressed yet.

I'm enjoying all the questions / challenges...but are there any answers?!! :-)...oh and Jonathan, unless someone can tell us differently, looking at your pics, I suspect you hold the record for altitude!!

They were adapted mostly by farmers after the war to make wheels for carts/small trailers.

oh and Jonathan, unless someone can tell us differently, looking at your pics, I suspect you hold the record for altitude!!

I think it might look higher than it is. Depending on which side of the pond your from 3rd floor UK 4th floor US.

The view is somewhat enhanced with the presence of a half track wheel!

Jonathan.

Mr Spotter...I think I'm becoming obsessed...no thanks to you !!

At a Fair in the UK today I saw and snapped the very trailer you identified as the 4 bolt hub "donor" in your post earlier....and I also snapped some other half track wheels...some of which have also been adapted to fit other kit post-war.

Sd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 Wheels

I know you'd already cracked the code but I guess seeing it for myself was proof indeed.

And I saw these ones knocking about too....

Sd. Kfz. 251 Wheels

...and they show signs of adjustment too....

Hello to All,

Today I started work cleaning up an outer wheel in readiness for priming and painting.
    It went a lot faster than I expected. The first two pictures are the sellers, the last two are as it looks now.
    Hard messy work, but rewarding. I think another day or so cleaning and I will be ready for priming.

Sd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 Wheels

Jonathan.

Hello,

A few pictures of the completed wheels.

Sd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 WheelsSd. Kfz. 251 Wheels

Very pleased with the way they turned out.

Jonathan.

That is very nice Jonathan. Do you fancy doing a few more, as I have a few that need a little work done on them.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast