Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A special groundfind - maybe something unique!

Article about: Hi @ all! Annoyed from this ads?   After a long way of investigations and proceedings we were allowed to search a forest with our metal detecting equipment to locate relics of the germa

Default A special groundfind - maybe something unique!

Hi @ all!

After a long way of investigations and proceedings we were allowed to search a forest with our metal detecting equipment to locate relics of the german WW2 railroad artillery Dora I and Dora II, destroyed by german army at 19. April 1945.

History and pics of Dora I and Dora II (english and german version):

http://www.grafenwoehr-uebungsplatzbuch.de/pdf/Dora.pdf

Some more pics (german with terrible backround music):

Dora

At the end of the day we were able to locate and recover one big fragment of the barrel and three small ones. With our pics it's maybe possible to imagine how big the barrel was. We are talking about a 80 cm (31.49 inches) caliber. The Dora I and Dora II had two barrels sticked together. The fragment on the pic is from the inside barrel.

There is only one other fragment of the Dora I and Dora II world wide. It's embedded in a german museum. That makes it really unique. At the moment we think about it to use very small fragments from our search to forging some knifes. Dora knifes...

Greetings

Tiger IV
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A special groundfind - maybe something unique!   A special groundfind - maybe something unique!  

A special groundfind - maybe something unique!   A special groundfind - maybe something unique!  

A special groundfind - maybe something unique!   A special groundfind - maybe something unique!  

?

Interesting find. Thanks for the post, look forward to updates in the future regarding this monster of artillery.

Regards,

Carl

?

Unbelivable!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a find!

Very cool. Nice to see a piece of rifling from the barrel. I cant imagine that the rifling would have been very long compared to the barrel length.
    Steve

That rifling is incredible, what a beast this must have been in real life. Hopefully more pieces can be found.

Thumbs up

A fantastic relic - and what a privilege to be involved in such archaeology. Many thanks for posting the pics.....

Its amazing that, for such a huge weapon, so few fragments exist.

well done for saving this piece.

I have to say that I think the concept of making some knives from some of the smaller fragments a rather interesting idea. I wouldn't mind having one myself! Please keep us posted!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Great Pic's!!! I can't imagine how big the charge must have been to blow that up considering it looks to be 6-8 inch's thick.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast