Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Numberplates with Red Lettering

Article about: Hi , can anyone please help me shed some light on the history of Waffen SS vehicle number plates with Red letters and numbers as opposed to the standard black lettering. I have exhausted my

Default SS Numberplates with Red Lettering

Hi , can anyone please help me shed some light on the history of Waffen SS vehicle number plates with Red letters and numbers as opposed to the standard black lettering. I have exhausted my internet research and drawn a blank .

The German armed forces used red-on-white number plates as Probefahrtkennzeichen [trial run number plates].

These plates were temporarily mounted on vehicles that did not (or not yet) have regular number plates but had to participate in road traffic. This had been the case for the Reichswehr, later the Wehrmacht and now for the Bundeswehr.

It is safe to assume that this practice was followed by the Waffen-SS.

Such red-on-white number plates have been in use since the 1920s.

(Under current law, they are issued to motor vehicle manufacturers, -workshops and -dealers, who may temporarily affix them to vehicles without regular number plates when these vehicles are taken out for test-/trial runs and delivery drives. These plates are not assigned to a particular vehicle, but used as needed, although detailed documentation on their use is required. Under certain condtions, red-on-white number plates can also be used by private owners on vintage vehicles, unless these vehicles are regularly used in road traffic. For such cases, the plate is permanently assigned to a particular vehicle. The military uses red-on-white number plates under similiar conditions as the commercial sector, i.e. on experimental vehicles, for trial runs, transfer of new vehicles etc.)

Same here in the U.K., they are reffered to as 'Trade Plates', and used when moving un taxed vehicles around the U.K. highways by motor vehicle traders etc.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

both correct,trade plates.

Thanks so much that's great. Can I ask you please are they more scarce than the black and white ones we often see or are there still plenty floating around the collecting world ?

I would say they are scarce only certain companys and people could use them.