Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Tiger at Saumur.

Article about: Late type Tiger with transport tracks. This is the famous Tiger at Saumur! A 2nd Company SS Schwere Pz Abt 102 Hull number 251114 I wonder what happened to the cushion that was under the Com

Default SS Tiger at Saumur.

Late type Tiger with transport tracks.

This is the famous Tiger at Saumur!

A 2nd Company SS Schwere Pz Abt 102 Hull number 251114

I wonder what happened to the cushion that was under the Commanders hatch? (to stop him banging his head when closing it)

This Tiger was captured at the Falaise Gap and re-used by the French.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Tiger at Saumur.   SS Tiger at Saumur.  

SS Tiger at Saumur.   SS Tiger at Saumur.  

SS Tiger at Saumur.   SS Tiger at Saumur.  

Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 05-06-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Always wanted to take a picture down the barrel of the Tiger..

Hopefully, a small part of a original late type Tiger, will be soon be on it's way to me..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Tiger at Saumur.  
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 05-06-2017 at 10:29 PM.

The tracks look skinnier than normal, did they have different style tracks? I only seen the wide ones.

My bad didn't see the transport tracks at the very top!

Yes, the normal tracks were wider than the transport type, they were also very heavy..

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    The tracks look skinnier than normal, did they have different style tracks? I only seen the wide ones.
    They are transport tracks (Verladekette), around 20" wide compared to the standard service tracks (Marschkette) at around 28.5" wide. The outer road wheels and hub extensions had to be removed from the tank when the transport tracks were fitted. The reason for the narrower tracks was down to the use of rail transport to move the tanks from place to place as required.

The wider service tracks would not have fitted the Berne loading gauge, and consequently overhung the sides of the flat railway wagon and made it impossible to pass trackside obstacles such as station platforms, track switch gear etc., hence the requirement for the narrow transport tracks. It was estimated that a well trained crew could change a service track in 30 minutes, but that would be longer in the case of changing over from transport to service tracks due to the outer road wheels and hubs being refitted. Here's a pic showing both types, and the tiger sans it's outer running gear.

SS Tiger at Saumur.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Cheers Ned, just standing next to the Saumur "beast" was the best feeling, to think this Tiger was part of the Normandy tank battles.

The zimmerit, three colour pattern, that "88" and just smelling it

Every body should have at least one