Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Stug III Radio.

Article about: Will dig out some of my books and do a bit of research mate to see if we can pin down the unit , i'm not sure if Totenkopf were ever in the Pskov area could be one of the units involved in t

?

Default Re: Stug III Radio.

Will dig out some of my books and do a bit of research mate to see if we can pin down the unit , i'm not sure if Totenkopf were ever in the Pskov area could be one of the units involved in the Operation Bagration withdrawal of 1944 who abandoned it , will come back to you

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I have always been a fan of your radio Tom, great to see it in all it's glory mate! (..-. .- -. - .- ... - .. -.-.-) that was 'fantastic' in morse by the way!!!

Cheers

Bob

?

Tom it will be difficult to ever pin down the unit but i'm making a calculated guess at Sturmgeschutz Brigade 226.

The reasons are that due to the apparent reasonable state of the vehicle , it doesn't look like it was badly damaged in combat, the Germans would certainly have recoverd it if they had the time which suggests that they didn't ,so it was abandoned during a retreat !!

The only German retreats from Pskov ( Pleskau ) occurred in 1944, Stug Brigade 226 were in the Pskov area in April and July 1944 during the Op Bagration withdrawals, the Russians captured Pskov on 23/7/1944.During these actions around Pskov and the retreat to the Modan position 45km west of Pskov Stug Brigade 226 reported 2 Guns " Missing " !!! and 1 gun destroyed.

So maybe this Stug is one of the " Missing " ones !!

regards

Paul
    Last edited by Paul D; 01-04-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul,
    Wow you've done some excellent research there! That is more information than i could gather up in a year.All make's sense too being 2 Stug's missing and maybe there is another one still stuck in the swamp.It was the theory all along that the swamp was frozen and when they drove over it the ice broke or maybe it was helped along by Soviet artillary.It was common for them to do that when the German's got cought cold (pardon the pun) in the middle of a frozen lake or river and much easier than targeting every Tank or vehicle.No wonder they are finding so many now along the line's of German retreat.
    The crew never got out of Stug 20 as it overturned and sunk in the mud.As you know it was alway's regulation's to destroy all German Radio gear to prevent it falling into the wrong hand's but these guy's never got a chance.They must have drowned like rat's and were there for over 60 year's!

Excellent work mate and very well done. If you find anything else let me know and i will print it all out and keep for referance as i have done with your last lot

Cheer's mate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2