Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tiger Late type Cupola Hatch Lid?

Article about: I've been doing some research on the Tiger Commanders hatch lid. One thing I can't find any information on, is the cushion/pad underneath the cupola. Was the head pad, leather? Does any one

Default Tiger Late type Cupola Hatch Lid?

I've been doing some research on the Tiger Commanders hatch lid.

One thing I can't find any information on, is the cushion/pad underneath the cupola.

Was the head pad, leather?

Does any one have any original pictures? or even rarer still, a original cushion

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    I've been doing some research on the Tiger Commanders hatch lid.

One thing I can't find any information on, is the cushion/pad underneath the cupola.

Was the head pad, leather?

Does any one have any original pictures? or even rarer still, a original cushion
    It was a thick rounded rubber pad on the early drum type cupola, this design was changed on later model E's to a sideways opening hatch after complaints from the crews about the original upward opening type, which thinking about it is understandable. I'm unsure as to whether this later model had a head pad as it would not appear as necessary, but I can't say for certain.

Early type drum cupola with upward opening commanders hatch and rubber head pad.

Tiger Late type Cupola Hatch Lid?Tiger Late type Cupola Hatch Lid?

Later model side opening commanders hatch. The arrows point to the attachment point for a little, if ever used umbrella/sun shade.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

MAP
    ?

Is there anything you don't know Ned?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    As you may know, I have an interest collecting Panzerkampfabzeichen's, so a little working knowledge of the actual equipment used by the awardees of this prestigious badge is perhaps par for the course. I find the Haynes Workshop Manual on the Tiger I Ausf. E a little gold mine of titbits about the design, production methods, upgrades, workings and maintenance of these behemoths. And it's excellent value for money to boot.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

MAP
    ?

LoL...I had no idea they produced these. The only one I had was for my old (and now probably a coffee pot) Isuzu Trooper II 4x4..

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I have this one.
    Its a good read once the drugs kick in ......

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tiger Late type Cupola Hatch Lid?  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I believe on the later Tigers the "cushion" was round?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Its why he wears the headdress of all knowledge in his avatar. Batteries included in the crystal ball.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Its why he wears the headdress of all knowledge in his avatar. Batteries included in the crystal ball.
    If you look closely you will see it's not a headdress, it's a bandage that's covering the nasty bump to the head I got from the unpadded hatch of my bloody Tiger tank the other day......

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    I believe on the later Tigers the "cushion" was round?
    Why? It appears to be unneccesary to this design of hatch. Note that the drivers, radio operators and loaders hatches have no padding, so why would the commanders, as it's inclusion appears negated by the later sideways opening design??

Regards, Ned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast