MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tigre in Vimoutiers

Article about: Hello guys, at the end of the sixties, every time I left the pocket, I stopped at this tank. Happy days, no collectors in the place

Being a total nerd when it comes to the facts surrounding an object, I was wondering if anyone knows the EXACT location the Tiger sat before it was moved to its current location? ( Lebus12 should as he sat on it ‘in situ’ in the opening post)

It had been pushed down the bank by a road / lane with its turret & barrel pointing back up the road. I believe it was relatively close by but despite using Google Earth & Street View, I have been unable to do an “after the battle” search for the location. Any pointers guys?

Thanks, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Lightbulb

I can't offer a definitive answer. But there are a few clues in 'After The Battle' #8, published in 1975, the cover of which features a close-up of the Tiger in its original position, just before it was moved. ATB state that it was just close to the 'railway bridge just outside Vimoutiers' on the N179. It was 'pushed down a slope beside the road toward a lane at the bottom.'

The railway is long disused and the bridge has disappeared, but possibly a bit of serious 'Googl Earth-ing' may give more clues......

Thanks Martin! I do have that issue but i have "looked" up and down that road via street view and tried to compare to the old photos but will try again..
    Cheers Dan

I think trying to restore it would be a mammoth task and a very costly endevour who ever takes it on the spare parts alone would be like trying to find rocking horse poop at the bottom of the ocean! But it should be undercover to protect it and it be given the correct paint job as there is plenty of info out there, sad to see such a potent weapon of the day rusting slowly into oblivion given there were only 1300 of all types produced in WWII of the Pzr MkVI.

Part of the attraction of seeing these old war horses outside is the impact they have when you come along in your car and spot them. Although I agree it's a shame it hasn't been given as much attention as say Tiger 213 at La Gleize, or the Panther at Grandmenil I think it would look worse if stuck under cover.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I think it would look worse if stuck under cover.
    Unless that cover was a bombed out building

Smile

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    ............the impact they have when you come along in your car and spot them......
    Ahh - what the heck ! It seems you can never have too many Tiger pics....

Tigre in Vimoutiers

The old railroad track is still easily visible on Google Earth and I assume the N179 is now re-numbered to D979. The former track crosses the road about 130 meters West of the present location of the Tiger, but I don't see any immediate indication there was ever a railroad bridge here. however, it seems the bank on the North-side is sloping down towards the road to it might be possible a chunk of the bank has been removed.

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    Ahh - what the heck ! It seems you can never have too many Tiger pics....

Tigre in Vimoutiers
    Agreed!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tigre in Vimoutiers   Tigre in Vimoutiers  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I did this thread back in 2014 https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after...istory-440106/ somewhat ignorant of the thread started by Michel ( Lebus12 ) the year before. Still, we all can contribute something I guess?

Looking again, I agree with EarlyMB that the railway crossed the N179 just to the west and the bridge was probably removed as the road level was built up and re-contoured to the thoroughfare it now is. I wonder whether the "lane" running parallel just adjacent to the Tiger is the one where it was sliding down the bank towards? ... If so, then it is behind the bushes to the left of this screenshot, just near the white rocks. This must have been the old road which was relocated as well - they have only moved it a short distance up the hill.

I wonder whether a rummage through the undergrowth would turn up any nuts & bolts from the parts removed??? .... THAT would be cool ( don't all rush over there - an orderly queue please )

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tigre in Vimoutiers  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast