Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....

Article about: Hey gang! Well, my friend passed away about a year ago....He was a Sargeant with Canada's Black Watch in WW2. He had quite a run in the war! He was lucky! He was on a Signal's course when hi

Default U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....

Hey gang! Well, my friend passed away about a year ago....He was a Sargeant with Canada's Black Watch in WW2. He had quite a run in the war! He was lucky! He was on a Signal's course when his regiment attacked at Verrieres Ridge - lost ALL his friends as a result.
    After the war - he was stationed in Wilhelmshaven when the U-Boats were coming in to surrender (those that didn't scuttle).

One day, after one such U-boat surrendered - an officer came off the sub and wanted to trade for some smokes....He handed him his Navy Dagger and this radio operator's clock - also called a seven day clock (that is how long it runs once it is wound up). Said he didn't need the dagger anymore and figured the clock would get scrounged up anyways. He was dying for a smoke.
    Alex traded him a pack of cigarettes for the dagger and the clock. When he passed away - his son told me that he wanted me to have these "things". I am honoured to have these in my collection. Great to know the story behind them.

Here's the clock .... Not something you see everyday....

Cheers!
    Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....   U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....  

U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....   U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....  

Attached Images Attached Images U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....  U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven.... 

Default Re: U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....

Here is where it would have been housed on the sub....see red arrow...
    Attached Images Attached Images U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven.... 

Rest in Peace Alex! You are missed, my friend but your stories continue to be told and your memory lives on!

Here's a few quick pics of the dagger that Alex received with the clock and how I have it on display with the clock (my KM shelf). I already had another dagger (earlier made piece) that is why there are two on display.
    The dagger I received from Alex is a late war made dagger.

Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....   U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....  

U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....   U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....  

U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....  

Hi Rob, these are both superb items, made even better by you knowing your late friend and how and where he obtained them.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade! It does add so much to these items knowing who owned them and how he came into their possession.

Rob

PS.....I posted the wrong pic before....it was this one that I meant to post showing my 2 KM dags....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....  

Thumbs up Re: U-Boat clock from Wilhelmshaven....

Hi Rob

I'am sad to hear thay you lost one of your friends. The items you recieved are truly amazing because you know the history behind them. I also think you displayed them very well, congratulations.

Greetz

Nick VR

Thank you Nick! Yes, there are not that many vets left! Time has certainly started to turn against them! I'm glad you like the display and I agree: it means so much more when you know where the items came from!
    Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,
    A story and sentiment well worth a response.Great item's from an even greater man and so nice to see they are in your hand's.Excellent work on the display and hope you enjoy them.We all wonder what went down with scuttled U boat's and now thank's to you we all know

Cheer's mate.
    Tom

Thanks Tom - there really isn't a day that goes by that I don't see these items! Glad you like 'em!

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast