Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown WW2 sprocket drive wheel, German?

Article about: Hi guys, Picked this up recently and haven't been able to match it to a vehicle yet, seller suggested that it's from an RSO but I think it's got too many 'teeth'. Although it's heavily damag

Default Unknown WW2 sprocket drive wheel, German?

Hi guys,

Picked this up recently and haven't been able to match it to a vehicle yet, seller suggested that it's from an RSO but I think it's got too many 'teeth'. Although it's heavily damaged (mine? shell?) it does not seem that there was a second ring of 'teeth' on the back. There is a number stamped on the inner ring (5838 02) and the piece measures just under 24 inches at the widest point (from the tip of the 'teeth') and just under 16 inches on the inside of the ring.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks for looking

Unknown WW2 sprocket drive wheel, German?Unknown WW2 sprocket drive wheel, German?Unknown WW2 sprocket drive wheel, German?Unknown WW2 sprocket drive wheel, German?Unknown WW2 sprocket drive wheel, German?Unknown WW2 sprocket drive wheel, German?

That certainly underwent quite a trauma. Does it look to you like it's a single sprocket (toothed) arrangement and that there wasn't a second set of teeth on the damaged side?

My first thought, assuming a single set of teeth, was a half track-type vehicle which is probably why RSO was mentioned originally....I don't know enough about these things but there must be a correlation between sets of teeth, numbers of teeth, size of track and hence size of overall vehicle. I does LOOK old......

I'll get back to the books / photos......