Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

V-1 Flying Bombs

Article about: These are the 'Doodlebugs' I have photographed on my travels. If you have any you have seen in museums etc please post Nick

Default V-1 Flying Bombs

These are the 'Doodlebugs' I have photographed on my travels.

If you have any you have seen in museums etc please post

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture V-1 Flying Bombs   V-1 Flying Bombs  

V-1 Flying Bombs   V-1 Flying Bombs  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Hi,

MRA (Musee Royal de l'Armee) - Royal Army Museum in Brussels (Belgium).

V-1 Flying Bombs

V-1 Flying Bombs

Nice one Narcis

Thanks for posting!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Nick, thank you for the pics...and thank you for not grouping them as you have others...they are enlargeable (?) like this....which at my age helps! :-)

2 pics of the one at the V2 Blockhaus (I think!)

V-1 Flying BombsV-1 Flying Bombs

?

I'll add this one to this great thread. It's not a Doodle Bug but a Fieseler Fi 103R-4 Reichenberg which can be seen at Lashenden Air Warfare Museum (Headcorn Airfield in Kent).

A super museum and well worth a visit just for this beauty. The motor has been fully restored to working condition.

Ken

V-1 Flying Bombs V-1 Flying Bombs

V-1 Flying Bombs V-1 Flying Bombs

?

Excellent Doodlebug collection Gent's.
    I like the different paint scheme's

That is an interesting Fieseler Wilko.
    I take it that it was a one time use type of thing?

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

It is a very interesting aircraft Phil, I have pasted this info from the museum Web page on the exhibition.

Towards the end of 1943 consideration was given in Germany to possible use of piloted missiles for precision attacks on targets such as warships & other high profile targets like Buckingham Palace & the Houses of Parliament.

Design work was carried out by Deutsches Forschungsinstitut fur Segelfug (German Gliding Research Institute) & the modification of standard V1’s for testing purposes was carried out by the aircraft manufacturer Henschel, under the code name of Reichenberg. Initial test flights were carried out at Larz where the first two aircraft crashed killing the pilots. Test flying was thereafter carried out by Hanna Reitsch & Heinz Kensche.

Two factories were set up to manufacture piloted V1’s, one at Dannenberg & the other at Pulverhof both using slave labour. They produced approximately 175 piloted Fieseler Fi 103R-4’s before production ceased. 70 pilots were under training when the project ceased in October 1944 owing to a shortage of fuel for training & political differences within the German High Command. The operational Fi 103R-4’s were to have been operated by 5/KG200 & was to be known as the Leonidas staffel

Ken

I've seen the one at Duxford on it's ramp, quite huge too..

Great thread, i bet you needed ear plugs to fly the Reichenberg!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast