Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 or 2 Tank drive wheel (maybe Panzer) or Artillery tractor / h track : unknown country of origin

Article about: I bought this really cheap recently, please help on what vehicle it has come from Dug up in Breslau Poland - lighter in first picture is for scale. VERY HEAVY Drive wheel !! Check out my man

Default WW1 or 2 Tank drive wheel (maybe Panzer) or Artillery tractor / h track : unknown country of origin

I bought this really cheap recently, please help on what vehicle it has come from

Dug up in Breslau Poland - lighter in first picture is for scale. VERY HEAVY Drive wheel !!

Check out my many photos, corrosion looks very deep in places so possibly ww1

Many thanks, I have my fingers crossed that someone knows !!!
    PS I think I have eliminated the WW2 German Goliath remote bomb drive wheel as that has more teeth and little strengthening struts from the centre boss outwards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 or 2 Tank drive wheel (maybe Panzer) or Artillery tractor / h track : unknown country of origin   WW1 or 2 Tank drive wheel (maybe Panzer) or Artillery tractor / h track : unknown country of origin  

WW1 or 2 Tank drive wheel (maybe Panzer) or Artillery tractor / h track : unknown country of origin   WW1 or 2 Tank drive wheel (maybe Panzer) or Artillery tractor / h track : unknown country of origin  

WW1 or 2 Tank drive wheel (maybe Panzer) or Artillery tractor / h track : unknown country of origin   WW1 or 2 Tank drive wheel (maybe Panzer) or Artillery tractor / h track : unknown country of origin  

WW1 or 2 Tank drive wheel (maybe Panzer) or Artillery tractor / h track : unknown country of origin  

Default comparison with another ww2 light tracked vehicle drive wheel

Just found a similar drive wheel to compare to............

See collage image , the top 2 photos relate to the WW2 US M29C Weasel, I am looking at the gaps between the teeth and how similar they look to my drive wheel sprocket. Did the WW2 germans OR russians / polish have anything similar to the US Weasel. My drive wheel (one half of a couple perhaps) looks to belong to a light vehicle also !!

A lead to something perhaps
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 or 2 Tank drive wheel (maybe Panzer) or Artillery tractor / h track : unknown country of origin  

Lightbulb moment !!!!!!!
    I just thought that this may be a tracked trailer sprocket !!! The Germans used tracked trailers, could be on to something here............... Please help me look at that possibility

May help if you give its diameter / size.

I will measure tomorrow (Sat 29/04/17) in the meantime please look at the first photo and see the cigarette lighter at the bottom of the wheel to get an idea of scale.

Please check back on Saturday for the dimensions !! Ta

I hate to put the knockers on it, but this could very likely be off a piece of old farm equipment rather than some military AFV.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=...msg=NCSR&noj=1
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

we spent quite a while trying to find out what it was when it was on Bobs stall.....the nearest we got was Goliath BUT it ain't that...it's similar (ish)...but it's not that...and we too went through a load of Google Images too

I really hope you crack the code Mr Sammler

Breslau was an important German industrial center and railroad hub.

This wheel looks industrial, like an engine flywheel, or machine sprocket. Going by your measurements of about six cigarette lighter lengths (!) it also seems a tad small for a tracked vehicle such as you describe.

I'm sure someone here can ID it better for you.

I also think it is a definate output sprocket, not enough teeth to transmit power to a track on a heavyweight vehicle. More teeth the better in that instance ! Looking at those little shoulders that jut out on both sides of each tooth (not seen on anything else on google) could they be there to correctly position a large link chain going around this sprocket which by the way is VERY heavy for its size, I can't weight it , but easily 20-30 kilos approx. 2 x T34 track links at the very least (I have 2 so approx.the same as this sprocket /drive wheel)
    Going on condition it could well be WW1 /steam crane or tractor. A lot of recommissioned machinery was used / adapted for ww1. Looking at a lot of farm / steam machinery it is all very similar stuff although with farm machinery each component I saw looked as light as possible to avoid being overweight and prevent bogging down in the loose soil. May I remind all that this is one seriously heavyweight wheel for its size approx 20 to 30kg with small round holes that lighten it only slightly. A lot of the lightening I have seen on is by large multiple triangular holes. This sprocket wheel is also nearly 2 inch thick !!

Quote by Panzer Kettenglied Sammler View Post
    Looking at a lot of farm / steam machinery it is all very similar stuff although with farm machinery each component I saw looked as light as possible to avoid being overweight and prevent bogging down in the loose soil. May I remind all that this is one seriously heavyweight wheel for its size approx 20 to 30kg with small round holes that lighten it only slightly. A lot of the lightening I have seen on is by large multiple triangular holes. This sprocket wheel is also nearly 2 inch thick !!
    I'm sorry, but you seem bent on it being military rather than anything else. Look at the page I've already posted, much of it isn't "As light as possible" by any means whatsoever, and several examples are closer in appearance than what you've already posted as a comparison to your sprocket.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vi...w=1280&bih=633

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast