Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

1920's Crimson Soviet Visor

Article about: Hey Guys! I am looking for more info on my 1920s soviet crimson visor. There is a small chip on the enamel as seen in the picture of the pin. The cloth is in very good condition no tears, st

Default 1920's Crimson Soviet Visor

Hey Guys!

I am looking for more info on my 1920s soviet crimson visor. There is a small chip on the enamel as seen in the picture of the pin. The cloth is in very good condition no tears, stains, etc. Any info on possible value would be appreciated as well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1920's Crimson Soviet Visor   1920's Crimson Soviet Visor  

1920's Crimson Soviet Visor   1920's Crimson Soviet Visor  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1920's Crimson Soviet Visor
    P
    Many

I am no expert and my opinion is should not be taken as the truth, ....but I always thought those early Soviet visors should have a square "duck-beak" visor and not a rounded one. Is anyone able to confirm?

I am familiar with that website but caps this early are not represented there unfortunately.

For what it's worth, and in my opinion only, the cap is a reproduction. Authentic examples are exceptionally rare. Below is an authentic M22 cap star. Was this visor purchased from Doug Drabik? By the way, it's my understanding the forum does not provide valuation services, sorry.

Last edited by Bill Garvy; 08-25-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    ....but I always thought those early Soviet visors should have a square "duck-beak" visor and not a rounded one. Is anyone able to confirm?
    From 1935 until the mid-1950s. Postwar, there were a couple of variations.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Quote by Bill Garvy View Post
    For what it's worth, and in my opinion only, the cap is a reproduction. Authentic examples are exceptionally rare. Below is an authentic M22 cap star. Was this visor purchased from Doug Drabik? By the way, it's my understanding the forum does not provide valuation services, sorry.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention the film on the outside looks like it was an attempt to repair the pin, i was able to remove the attempted repair and this is how it looks exactly like your example.

1920's Crimson Soviet Visor1920's Crimson Soviet Visor1920's Crimson Soviet Visor

Nevermind the star.

These "rare" cavalry caps in all sorts of colourful variations flooded the market in the early 2000's.

The cap is a fake from way back when - like then.

Notice no wear, no distress, and no signs of use in the areas that would indeed show such in an example that was used during the times of the late teens and early 1920s - "perfectly stored" or whatever.

The material and lining does not appear to be close to an original. The brim appears to be sandpapered to feign artificial/faux aging. Respectfully, I beg to differ regarding the stars. Here, for example, an authentic M22 side by side to an example strikingly close to yours, lacquer for aging notwithstanding.

Real on the right, contemporary example on the left.

Here is an example possessing the characteristics I look for in a visor cap from this period... OGPU Border Guard's Visor.

Another example similar, in my opinion, to yours... 1920's visor

And another. . . 1920's Cavalry Visor
    Last edited by Bill Garvy; 08-26-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Your memory is impressive Garvy.

Many thanks...