Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstraps

Article about: My fellow collectors As a dedicated lover of the russian helmet I really would like to show my latest aquisition. Here we have a 1940 dated Ssh 40 with the first type of chinstraps that I ha

Default A 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstraps

My fellow collectors

As a dedicated lover of the russian helmet I really would like to show my
    latest aquisition.
    Here we have a 1940 dated Ssh 40 with the first type of chinstraps that I
    have also on my 1939 dated helmets.
    As you can see its made of a darker shade of web and does not have the metal tip
    commonly found on the 1941 models.
    The artificial leather of the liner is more of the type we find on the M36 helmets.
    One thing I noticed only when I looked at the pics on my computer is that there is some
    writing on the outside shell of the helmet.

Hope you like it !A 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstrapsA 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstrapsA 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstrapsA 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstrapsA 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstrapsA 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstraps

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstraps
    P
    Many

Default Re: A 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstraps

That's a really nice looking Ssh 40, congrats Bernard.

Love the patina !!

Great looking helmet and in nice condition!....

?

Nice Find!
    Regards,
    John

?

In my opinion, a chinstrap and buckle on it is not original.

Isn't that a Model 1939 Helmet? Three rivets at dome versus 6 at bottom (M1940).

Quote by Markratz1 View Post
    Isn't that a Model 1939 Helmet? Three rivets at dome versus 6 at bottom (M1940).
    Well spotted, i must have been asleep. It makes it even nicer!..

That's a very nice helmet and an outstanding example of a Model 1939, size #2 manufactured in 1940. The liner is correct, I don't see a problem with the chinstrap. It did at one time have the metal tip on the strap. Any others feel free to chime in or correct me. Color variances on the webbing don't upset me anymore. I assume the rivets are the split type where it attaches to the helmet.

?

In my opinion, the thickness of the buckle chinstrap less than it should be. And klammer for attaching the belt may be interchanged.

My fellow collectors ,

Thanks a lot for your valued opinions.
    Of course I screwed it up and the helmet that started this thread is a `39 model.;-) and not a 40 !

I have to say that I am perfectly comfortable with the chinstrap , it´s buckle and the non existent metal tip.
    The reason for this is the fact that I have two ´39 dated Ssh39 helmets that have the same style of chinstraps.
    For comparison I also can refer to two ´41 dated helmets that in fact have thicker material used for stamping out the
    buckle and also the metal tip on long end of the straps.
    For your further information I have added some more pics to show the differences.
    All but one pic are from helmets of my collection.
    The (terriffic !!)`40 dated Ssh39 with the white leather interior belongs to a collector from Germany.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstraps   A 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstraps  

A 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstraps   A 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstraps  

A 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstraps   A 1940 dated Ssh 40 helmet with early type chinstraps  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast