Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SSch39 helmet

Article about: You notice that when you look around at netsellers, ebay and so. There is not many good condition helmets for sale, because there are not that many around!

?

Default Re: SSch39 helmet

Very nice helmet and the markings is also unusual.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SSch39 helmet
    P
    Many

Wow... Another beautiful helmet. Dimas, what is unusual about the markings... Looks like it is just the 1st type "LMZ" stamp with large letters. This style was used in 1940 and then changed to the more common "LMZ" stamp with the smaller letters in that same year.

the more helmets I see, the more it is becoming my belief that all these Ssh-39 liner types (leather, artificial leather, and graylex/oil cloth types) were all made at the same time in 1939/40 and not one after the next.

Here are a couple of mine. The first is my natural leather liner Ssh-39. It has the same type stamp as Bjorn's helmet (like all 39 dated hemets have), but not as nice as his. Maybe someday.

The second is my artifical leather type. Not yellow like Bjorn's, but white. This one never had a star on the front either. Mine is also 40 dated, but unlike Bjorn's, mine has the second type "LMZ". Notice the shape of the liner tongues in this helmet and Bjorn's. They are cut like the graylex/oilcoth type and not like the natural leather one. Mine also has a nice stamp on the inside of the artificial leather that shows that the liner or the raw material comes from an NKVD controlled factory. This helmet is also market as Luftshutz property on the liner. I got lucky at the 2007 MAX show and found this one. Most casual lookers thought it had been relined and never touched it. Glad I was familiar with Ssh-39 liner construction.

I will attempt some better pictures tomorrow.

Enjoy,
    Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSch39 helmet   SSch39 helmet  

SSch39 helmet   SSch39 helmet  

beorn
    ?

I must say that i`ve had some luck over the year when getting my hands on some rare russian helmets, but it seem like you had that too Mike!
    I realy like the lids you show us newer seen an white artifical liner before! very nice!

I took a closer look at my two early helmets today but could not find any stamp on the liners exept size 56 and 58.

But I have a questionon, does anybody know what the metal stamp means on the first one (leather liner) it says: 2 1111
    on the second one: 2 3675

And Mike I want to see more!

/Bjorn

Bjorn,

Gladly... here are two more early Ssh-39 helmets. The first is with black graylex/oilcloth liner and a nice star on the front. I got this one from a Finnish collector who was selling out his helmets. Winter War trophy I imagine...

The second is with a brown graylex/oilcloth liner. This helmet Dimas may have seen before. It was found in Estonia by some mutal friends of ours hidden among a huge pile of postwar Ssh-40 helmets being sold at one of the markets or militaria fairs there. For a postwar Ssh-40 price I might add. The white interiors are uncommon, but you do see them from time to time. It is also white under the green on the exterior. Not sure if this is a primer or surface preparation or ???

Oh... the 2 #### on your helmets is the steel shell size and a serial or batch number.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSch39 helmet   SSch39 helmet  

Ost-Berlin
    ?

You guys have amazing helmets in your collection!

Mike, I didn't know you had so many helmets in your collection!

Wish I was lucky enough to find examples like yours.

Here is the only SSh-39 helmet with leather liner that I have. Dimas is probably familiar with that one, because it originally came from his shop after I bought it from a French collector.

Bryan aka "Soviet" on other forums

?

This one is early blockade one, and of the rarely one, i thinm just a about of hudreds are survived....
    Regards,
    Dimas

Bryan,

Good to see you here, I hope your collecting has gone well since we last spoke. Finished with school yet? I have a nice collection of helmets, mostly Ssh-39 and 40. I need to move on to Ssh-36 before they get much more expensive.

Mike

Ost-Berlin
    ?

Hi Mike! I have finished my university, but my Soviet helmet collection hasn't change much. I have only added a post-war "traffic controller" helmet painted white with the red star. I'm saving my money for a trip in Eastern Europe and in the old Soviet republics (Caucasus and Central Asia).

I'll continue to collect once I come back from my trip.

I also wish to add some SSh-36. They are now getting more expensive than WWII German helmets.

?

The hsoviet helmets starts to be expencivest doe of next reasons- Russian and Ex-USSR market became more rich than in Gorbachevs time. The collectors starts to understand that a good soviet item is more rare than the German stuff ( again reason- German items can be bought as Vet bring back or from Germany from german veteran family) Soviets use their stuff postwar due of not a rich peoples and fashion- the all uniforms was used till the holes on it and then go to the garbage.
    The reason 2: What we can say about Double decal Wehrmacht helmet ? 2500-3500 USD.
    The M36 soviet is triple rarerely as the German DD helmet.... But price still awailable about 1500 USD for nice one. But if you'll have that money for the good helmet- at first find it where to buy!?
    The German DD helmet I'll find easily...
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

hello dimas!
    i agree with you 100%
    nw it isnt easy to find some fine ww2 russian helmets.
    but ive 15 different models in my collection and im only searching
    for russian adrian and shvartz types.
    greets lir2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast