Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Battle Damaged SSh40 Helmet

Article about: Hello, pics of a helmet I have seen on-line. I copied and pasted some pics to look at. Do you think this is actual battle damage? or did someone shoot it many times, to make it look more dra

Default Battle Damaged SSh40 Helmet

Hello, pics of a helmet I have seen on-line. I copied and pasted some pics to look at.

Do you think this is actual battle damage? or did someone shoot it many times, to make it look more dramatic?? Fantasy damage?? Damage looks old, but could have been done post war, not in battle.

If not, what happened? concentrated MG fire, strafing?

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle Damaged SSh40 Helmet   Battle Damaged SSh40 Helmet  

Battle Damaged SSh40 Helmet   Battle Damaged SSh40 Helmet  

Battle Damaged SSh40 Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle Damaged SSh40 Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Battle Damaged SSh40 Helmet

I think it has been used for target practise. The damage is too even and contrived to be true battle damage.

Cheers, Ade.

Agree with ade tooooo close together

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I think it has been used for target practise. The damage is too even and contrived to be true battle damage.

Cheers, Ade.
    Agree with ade tooooo close together

Yes, I thought so too. Too bad, it was a nice helmet.

Regards, Steve

Reg
    ?

Few exit holes, so shot from above probably! some chef caught short in the field and had to improvise a "tactical" collander???

I like the lid though, cheers.

Reg

?

I like it, too, even though the holes appear to be target practice. The holes appear to have been there for quite awhile so maybe it was a Heer or W-SS soldier practicing his marksmanship somewhere on the eastern front.
    Those do look like SS bullet holes!

Best Regards,
    Mike

P.S. If the price was right, I would buy it.

Hi,
    I agree with all on here it is a target, But as a collector of relic helmets i would,nt buy it as it has lost any credibility as a battlefield helmet. make a nice plant pot though.
    dave.

frankmartin
    ?

It will be the most ideal gift and memento to give your son. With this new site structured for people in the military service as a source of memorable moments, this site helps you to create a personal record of your experiences and is also educative and informative that will be a guiding force for the future generation, to understand the meaning of honor, service and sacrifice that men and women make for the country and use this as an exemplary model. Please visit: MyMilitaryYears.com - Helping military families stay in touch across the world with video, audio, and text messages for more info.

Quote by M422A1 View Post
    I like it, too, even though the holes appear to be target practice. The holes appear to have been there for quite awhile so maybe it was a Heer or W-SS soldier practicing his marksmanship somewhere on the eastern front.
    Those do look like SS bullet holes!

Best Regards,
    Mike

P.S. If the price was right, I would buy it.

Hello, I agree with all the posts, thank you everybody. The helmet was sold long ago, I just saved the pics, I did not want to buy it, just thought it was interesting.

I think maybe too, a soldier was sighting his rifle in. Very even spaced, level, like they were checking /adjusting rear sight for elevation and windage.

Also, I think maybe a sniper adjusting the clicks on his scope.
    I think that would be probable too. No one will ever now for sure now.

Regards, Steve