Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Budenovka

Article about: Hello. Can somebody say me which model of budenovka is this and by whom it was worn? Paul

Default Budenovka

Hello.

Can somebody say me which model of budenovka is this and by whom it was worn?

Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Budenovka   Budenovka  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Budenovka
    P
    Many

Default Re: Budenovka

I have owned an example of one of these (for Frontier Troops) for many years. Unfortunately, as interesting as it is, I have never comprehensively researched it - like dozens of other oddball pieces in my collection... I am able to make better photos if need be.

Perhaps Dim can elaborate...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Budenovka  
    Attached Images Attached Images Budenovka 
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Your hat is soft and this on the photos is hard so as german Pickelhaube. Or was it an officer's version?

?

They are also soft, IMO m19
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

don't know anything about thise perticular head dress but it seems to me also to be some kind of helmet and no bonnet!!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Pawlito View Post
    Your hat is soft and this on the photos is hard so as german Pickelhaube. Or was it an officer's version?
    Quote by stuka f View Post
    don't know anything about thise perticular head dress but it seems to me also to be some kind of helmet and no bonnet!!

Were you two gentlemen able to touch the examples in the photos?

Seriously though, I believe that these were a bit more rigid when they were "young" - as in the photos. When not in use, they probably were stored on some kind of device that gave them a "shaped" appearance. This is certainly the case with many a soft headgear used by many armies and municipalities throughout the centuries...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

?

In the Red army was a very fashionable - the starch, it makes the cloth items stronger
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Because it has no ears, it make me think it is either an officer version or a spring or summer version of the budenovka. Do you know what year it is approximatly made or was worn?

I think these winter caps were introduced in 1919 and withdrawn in 1939-40 because they were inadequate winter headgear. The caps the arows point to could well be officers private purchace items or new, starched or modified. Notice the large variety of cap shapes being worn in what I asume to be the same unit. I recently bought a simiar cap. Will post pics when it arrives.

Tovarisch Boyesh;

I have two budenovka, and they are similar in style, but very different in their internal construction, and how they appear. One is less stiff, and a softer wool felt, the other is much stiffer, and has a different style of ear flap. Both of these are enlisted issue, and are for use by Cavalry troops. They are called a soft helmet, but are in no way capable of providing any protection from shrapnel, or small arms fire.

As you look at the pictures, the one on the left is the stiff one, the one on the right is the soft one.

Here you can see the different style of liner material. The grey material is a canvas type material, the black is a thin cotton linen.

Boridin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Budenovka   Budenovka  

Budenovka  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast