Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Cap M35 Tankiste

Article about: Thank you for your opinions. Regards Marc

Default Cap M35 Tankiste

Cap M35 TankisteCap M35 TankisteCap M35 TankisteCap M35 TankisteCap M35 Tankiste

Thank you for your opinions.

Regards

Marc
    Last edited by Soljenitsyne; 07-26-2011 at 11:46 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cap M35 Tankiste
    P
    Many

Default Re: Cap M35 Tankiste

I think a visor that is raw gray material with no finish is a bad sign, but it could just be the quality of the photo. I am curious on this one as well. It is not 38 dated per the description, it is a size 58 hat with a poor stamp

Marc,

These are difficult. I have seen many, MANY, that are originally 1955 "Zhukov" parade caps that have replacement visors.

The only way to tell is to have it in hand and look on the velvet band for two extra holes from the Zhukov cockarde, and how the visor is applied.

Regards,
    Richie

PS: BTW, the star-cockarde is 1950s make - and Mike; I'm in all agreement with you on the finish of the visor's underside...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

I know the truth that RichieC speaks all too well. It is with great distaste that I have such a converted "Zhukov" in my own junk box. I think this might be such a conversion as well, but the visor is a 1st generation reproduction visor from some of the St. Pete. makers. The unfinished gray underside is the give away.

Mike and Richie, thank you for your opinions

Regards

Marc

Marc,

You are welcome. I do not think I can get to it before the auction is over, but I can offer photos of my converted cap for comparison. I also have an unfinished sample of one of the higher end reproduction hats made in St. Pete. that seems to have the same type of visor that I will show as well. I would love for a couple other folks here to offer opinions, same or otherwise. My initial reaction to this one is not favorable

Thanks Mike, J would like even his caps.

Marc

All,

Here is the first of my images for comparison to the M35 Tankiste that was just sold on eBay. The images below are from a hat I own. It is an incomplete reproduction from some of the reproduction makers in St.Pete. Other than the star, this hat is 100% top to bottom reproduction. If you compare the visor of my hat to the eBay hat, I think the similarities that I spoke of are obvious.

First, both have the top side finished in a heavy black lacquer that is formulated is such a manner that it mimics the characteristic crazing or cracking seen on period hats. However, I think on these reproductions it is much more pronounced than on most real hats.

Second, the underside is left unfinished in the natural gray fiberboard used to make these reproductions. A similar detail on this and the eBay hat is the bleed over of the glossy black near the edges. There are a couple of large spots on the eBay hat, but my hat has a smaller one that looks suspiciously similar.Cap M35 TankisteCap M35 TankisteCap M35 Tankiste

Here is another photo of the eBay hat that I lifted from the auction. Notice the crazing or cracks in the glossy black lacquer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cap M35 Tankiste  
    Attached Images Attached Images Cap M35 Tankiste 

?

It's a bad one, wrong color, faded markings
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics