Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

confused on russian helmets

Article about: Hi all,ive jus bought what was described as a russian 1945 helmet,its ssch 40 shape,no ink stamping but impressed on rear inner lip is 2 31 45 and a star impressed on inside of front lip,it

Default Re: confused on russian helmets

thank you reg and michael,it does have three upper rivets holding the liner,i bought it for 16.00 on e-pay and was going to chuck it back at the vendor so sounds like i didnt do so bad after all,does the 3 upper rivets now switch it back to a 39 ?
    Colin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement confused on russian helmets
    P
    Many

Quote by wrecker View Post
    thank you reg and michael,it does have three upper rivets holding the liner,i bought it for 16.00 on e-pay and was going to chuck it back at the vendor so sounds like i didnt do so bad after all,does the 3 upper rivets now switch it back to a 39 ?
    Colin.
    No, this is still a Czech Model 53 helmet... just possibly an early one made from a Soviet supplied shell. If you desire a Ssh-39 I would suggest you stick to a good LMZ 41 type with "textbook" features.

i am no expert but the profile of the shell looks very much like the ssch40 as opposed to the vz53 although the amount of rivits is slightly confusing

hi colin i just wanted to show you my vz 53 with what appears a reworked ssch 40 lid it also has faint star stamp and 5 digit batch number 13154 it has 3 high placed rivits for the liner etc and 6 lower rivits that do nothing at all ,thanks jamesconfused on russian helmetsconfused on russian helmetsconfused on russian helmets

very nice,thank you James.

the helmet lid seems inferior quality to the russian lids almost like its a reject there is a defined band at the lower part of the helmet at liner level about an inch wide that goes round the circumference and also the rivits arent symetrical , my theory is these are similar to what the germans did with there reject helmets passing them on to the luftschutz etc but hey what do i know cheers james

A related question to add to the confusion maybe.....as it sounds as though many the Czech helmets were Russions ssch 39 and 40 re-works, were they still designated as M53's? I have what I am 99% certain is a Czech M53 but want to be certain of identification when speaking of it's Russian re-work counterparts.

russ if you get chance put some detailed pics on for for all to see maybe the more learned on here might shed more light

As requested, here are a few pix of our (what I believe to be) Czech M53. Tried to show the rivet location in these photos.

Russ

this looks very interesting , and sorry to keep pestering you for photos , the deep profile of the rim looks very much like ssch 39 are there any rivits under the banding ?thanks for posting i like the used period look of this helmet and looks great displayed cheers james

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast