Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

confused on russian helmets

Article about: Hi all,ive jus bought what was described as a russian 1945 helmet,its ssch 40 shape,no ink stamping but impressed on rear inner lip is 2 31 45 and a star impressed on inside of front lip,it

Default confused on russian helmets

Hi all,ive jus bought what was described as a russian 1945 helmet,its ssch 40 shape,no ink stamping but impressed on rear inner lip is 2 31 45 and a star impressed on inside of front lip,it has german type finger liner,and thick leather chin strap all showing considerable age,any help out there,thanks colin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement confused on russian helmets
    P
    Many

Dom
    ?

Default Re: confused on russian helmets

Hi
    probably a Czech helmet
    There are many post about Ssh 40 on the forum, please browse the section !

Hello Dom,ive had a good browse and all seems to relate to the ink stamps which if overpainted have gone,does the metal stamping mean a size ?hopefully attached are some pics.
    if chech what defines it,and is it ww2 chech,thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture confused on russian helmets   confused on russian helmets  

Last edited by wrecker; 05-05-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: didnt wait for upload,heres pics

Reg
    ?

Hi Colin

The german style liner means its almost certainly a Czech M53 type helmet as Dom suggested, Ssch 40 type should have 3 padded liners, the helmet shell is probably soviet wartime production though not for certain (the star helps) but it was most likely re-worked post war. A pic on the thread would clarify this.

Best wishes
    Reg

thanks reg,pics included,as you see from my text it would be nice to know wether shell is ww2 russian and how the metal stamped numbers figure in this,perhaps if czech how and when they used them,im sorry if all this has been covered before but im new to russian collecting,regards colin.

Dom
    ?

Here is a link to help you understand :
    CHECO 53

got that dom,thanks,not sure my spanish ? is up to reading it though,question remains is it ww2 renovaton for czech or fresh made in 53 ? and the significanse of star and sampings,bless you all for your patience.colin.

Reg
    ?

Hi Colin

Cheers for the pic, looking at the rivet pattern its probable that the shell is that of the Ssch 39 (the forerunner of the Ssch 40) it had 3 higher rivets in the helmet to hold the liner (there are 3 un-used looking on yours towards the top riveted to fill the hole) whilst the 40 had 6 lower down in roughly the same position as the liner rivets are on yours which holds the german style liner in place, there are better authorities on RKKA lids on here than myself who will be able to tell us more.

I thought that the star on the peak denoted wartime production but this was kindly pointed out to me to be incorrect on the forum some months ago. The other stamped numbers are...I think...just batch numbers.

If you are looking for a wartime Ssch lid they are quite scarce and getting pricey but post war ones can be found for about £40 upwards. The 40 comes in 4 sizes.

Cheers and best wishes
    Reg

If this helmet has a star on the underside of the visor, it is a Soviet made shell. Interesting is the extra rivets that have been pointed out. A standard Czech helmet uses a three rivet system like the Ssh-39 and 100% Czech made helmets do not have the lower rivets. Given that the lower rivets are unused on this helmet, I suspect that it is an early Czech helmet made up from a surplused Soviet Ssh-40 shell that was refitted for the Czech liner system. That in itself is interesting for one who collects such things.

Reg
    ?

Hello Gents

Good spot! I think the upper rivets are actually a rust spot in about the same place as an ssch39 rivet, so chances are that is is a wartime ssch40 shell then.

Cheers Reg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast