Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Early leather liner SSch36 helmet

Article about: Hi Guys, the early leather liner was not a great sucess and very few seem to have survived. As you can see the leather has a sandwich of wool padding. The leather is quite thin. This was rep

?

Default Re: Early leather liner SSch36 helmet

I think they are spanish....
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early leather liner SSch36 helmet
    P
    Many

Thanks Richie!

Cheers, Ade.

Ade,

I was finally able to visit my friend the helmet collector to show him the photo of your Ssh-36 helmet liner.

He told me he had that a helmet with that same liner model some years ago, unfortunately not anymore, as he thinned his russian helmet collection some time ago. Anyway, he told me his helmet had, to his knowledge, a russian liner, not a spanish one. He has no information to backup his claim, other than the helmet he had (with that liner) was brand new, seemed not to have had combat use, so he assumed it came like that - untouched - from the USSR.

It is not much, but I hope it helps.

Regards,

Gus

?

I never heard or saw myself, thoght I had a couple of hundreds of them trough my hands.
    That will be a idea to post that kind of helmets to discuss to the Russian forums
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Dimas View Post
    I never heard or saw myself, thoght I had a couple of hundreds of them trough my hands.
    That will be a idea to post that kind of helmets to discuss to the Russian forums
    Dimas,

As I said in my post, I think this visit to my old friend has not shed any light as to the true origin of the liner, as it might well be that the helmet looked like new precisely because it was refurbished in Spain, not necessarily because it came like that from the USSR.

Regards,

Gus

Thanks anyway Gus!

Cheers, Ade.

Hello, I know it's been a long time , but I just found these pics. I have this same helmet, even to the 3A-1381 stamp at the rear. Can you tell me what this stamp signifies? My helmet, liner, and everything are identical, except paint and liner of mine are in better condition. The single row of stitching around the edge of the sweatband has long ago vaporized, but in spite of this the wool is intact, with no separation of the inner liner from the outer band and virtually uniform thickness of the wool all around...compressed a tiny bit at the forehead area only. One difference that originally bothered me is a bold red star outline (no hammer and sickle) painted on front. I say "bold" because the width of the paint lines is 7-9mm. Star tips are about 5cm apart, measured across the star about 85mm. Almost surely not done with a stencil...looks like somebody with sign painter skills. Tips of stars are not sharp points. Since acquisition I have seen pics of "original" helmets with this same star. I don't think this helmet has been repainted, certainly not the inside, as the notoriously fragile liner would not have survived removal anytime in the last 70 or more years. I know you guys require quality photos, which I cannot furnish at this time. So my question is confined to the meaning of the 3A-1381 stamping. Many thanks for any comments. Robert Y.

Sorry for any confusion, this post is in reference to pictures posted by RichieC in 2009 ... bottom of page 2. Robert Y

The 3A-#### is thw shell size and production lot number.

As for the liner, looking back to my 2009 comments, I have shifted positions. These liners are not Soviet military production or export. I have conversed with too many other collectors since then. They are not even mentioned in the new Karbonov book on Soviet hemets. The liners are just to fragile to be of any practical use.

Hello

Another type of leather liner. The configuration is a little dieferent. It has a stamp in red with 1941 but I do not hav much more information.
    Could it be a spanish refurbishment?

In advance thank you

Bruno

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast