Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Early leather liner SSch36 helmet

Article about: Hi Guys, the early leather liner was not a great sucess and very few seem to have survived. As you can see the leather has a sandwich of wool padding. The leather is quite thin. This was rep

Default Early leather liner SSch36 helmet

Hi Guys, the early leather liner was not a great sucess and very few seem to have survived. As you can see the leather has a sandwich of wool padding. The leather is quite thin. This was replaced by the more familiar canvas liner with "Graleks" sweatband and corragated steel liner band which was much more sturdy.

This helmet has had some restoration, being resprayed. I don't know why this was done as metal is perfect. This is not something I would normally contemplate buying, but the sheer rarity of the liner and a very, very good price (from a comrade in our LH group) made me overcome this. The long half of the chinstrap is a modern replacement.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early leather liner SSch36 helmet   Early leather liner SSch36 helmet  

Early leather liner SSch36 helmet   Early leather liner SSch36 helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early leather liner SSch36 helmet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Early leather liner SSch36 helmet

Hi Ade. The star is definitely is not original. The liner and chinstrap looks to me as used in some of the Spanish M36's, probably Spanish re-issue after the Spanish war, and someone added the star to make the helmet more valuable. Anyway good helmet for that money, you just need to remove the fake star
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Hi Dimas, all the paint is new. I just just spoke to the guy that restored it. He said the paint was in poor condition so he removed it all Which was a great pity.

From what I have seen the Spanish liners were different? Here is one from Clawson's book.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early leather liner SSch36 helmet  

Early Soviet liner from the same book.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early leather liner SSch36 helmet  

Lovely helmet, Ade. Nice and rare.

If my humble opinion is worth something, after reading DimasĀ“s post I do remember having seen that exact leather cord that circles the fingers of the liner in some old spanish helmets. In fact, some of the old ones we found in the scrap yard had that same cord to hold the fingers together.

Regards,

Gus

Hi Gus, thanks for your comments.

I would really like to see one of these liners. Pity you did not take a close up pic of any.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Gus, thanks for your comments.

I would really like to see one of these liners. Pity you did not take a close up pic of any.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,

After writing my post, I went to one of the storage boxes where I had kept some of the tids and bits we also found around the helmet pile. I was not sure, but I could remember keeping some helmet parts together with other stuff.

And back from the time machine, I did have picked up some helmet split pins, leather reinforcements for the fingers, as well as cords. One of them is a leather cord, the one I was speaking about in my previous post. As an image is worth a thousand words, take a look.

Regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early leather liner SSch36 helmet   Early leather liner SSch36 helmet  

Then here:

http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

It seems there is doubt over who exactly made this pattern of liner? The author of this webpage adds this final footnote:

(***) There is an interesting debate over whether these helmets with leather trim were restored in Spain during the Civil War (Spanish garrison). Possibly because it was in Spain where it was learned that the garrison had restored the home and also they could be restored by mimicking the Russian system, but ignoring the aeration system.

I really now want to get to the bottom of this issue.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Gus, thanks! We call this part the "drawstring" in English.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast