Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

A few Ssh-39's

Article about: Hello Gent's Here are some Ssh-39 helmets. I have had the fortune to lay my hands upon a few lately. The question is what exactly is the digits on the helmet? My guess is Division/Regiment n

?

Default A few Ssh-39's

Hello Gent's

Here are some Ssh-39 helmets. I have had the fortune to lay my hands upon a few lately. The question is what exactly is the digits on the helmet? My guess is Division/Regiment numbers. Then there is the F/Ф2. It will be much appreciated if someone can shed some light on these digits There is also one with 151 written on it. I will provide more pics as soon as i can take some.

152/24 Helmet

A few Ssh-39's

A few Ssh-39's

A few Ssh-39's

A few Ssh-39's

A few Ssh-39's

F/Ф2 Helmet

A few Ssh-39's

A few Ssh-39's

A few Ssh-39's

A few Ssh-39's

A few Ssh-39's

Regards, Lars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A few Ssh-39's
    P
    Many

Default Re: A few Ssh-39's

Lars,

There was a rash of helmets on ebay over the year or so where some one took early postwar Ssh-40 helmets messed with the date stamps, and added such markings. The markings on the ebay helmets were the same as some well known tank turret markings from the war and the seller tried to pair the helmets to those units. Those on ebay were obvious fakes.

I must admit that your helmets here are extremely similar. However, I would find it odd that someone in today's market, with today's knowledge of what is a good wartime helmet and what is not, would wreck a perfectly good, rare ZKO maker helmet with such unorthodox markings. 15-20 years ago when the market for Soviet items was new, you would see some pretty horrific "improvements" made to just about any type of Soviet militaria you can imagine.

So what am I saying? I do not know what to tell you. The only other examples I have seen like this were all fakes. It would take a greedy idiot to wreck a wartime ZKO trying to create the same fraud. Possibly someone else can offer some photographic evidence of such markings. Personally I know of none, but I am not the final word. I hope they prove to be legitimate because it would be very interesting indeed, and most here know how I love helmets!! I will be curious to see what else others may have to say about these helmets.

?

Very interesting indeed Mike. I will get more pics ASAP. The fake helmets you are mentioning, where they from Russia? I would be really surprised if these turn out to be fakes. They are from a good collector with a good reputation. As i wrote, i have never seen markings like these before, so it's interesting what you write. I will look forward to hear what others have to say. Close ups of the markings are of course needed.

Regards, Lars

Dom
    ?

As Mike I do not think tactical markings, rather look on the side of the Civil Defense (ГО) who recovered many helmets 39 and 40.

?

Quote by Dom View Post
    As Mike I do not think tactical markings, rather look on the side of the Civil Defense (ГО) who recovered many helmets 39 and 40.
    Thank you for your opinion Dom As i wrote i have not seen these before. So if they are ГО markings, would they have been applied post war or during the war? I will upload some pics as i wrote.

The helmets themselves seem to be OK. I am just confused by the markings.

Regards, Lars

Dom, I think your theory is plausible. I cannot see some one destroying so many 3KO helmets with bad markings. They just looked so similar to the fakes I had seen previously, and the numbers inside the broken circle are very similar to some Soviet armor unit turret markings. However a number inside a circle is a simple think to create and could easily be used somewhere else completely unrelated. I can say that the markings on the fake helmets were made to match exactly the markings seen in very famous, often printed photos of Soviet tanks. I wish I had kept images, but did not.

Lars, the helmets themselves don't seem OK, they are 100% OK. Very nice 3KO specimens. The markings are perplexing.

?

Good post Mike I hope we will be able to clear up these markings and their use. I would think it could for some rear echelon troops maybe, where camouflage is not of utmost importance. The collector i got them from was talking about some guards etc. My Russian is not that good yet, but i will try and get more info from him. My wife can help with that. I do not have the helmets yet. As i wrote earlier, i will be surprised if they are fake because he have a very good reputation.

Regards, Lars

Dom
    ?

Lars ,

I think the markings have applied post war .
    Many Civil Defense helmets have remained in their original configuration . Once again this is an assumption but as Mike I've never seen photos with tactical markings during the war.

However, they are beautiful and desirable helmets .

?

I agree that the markings may have been applied post war, but i will post some more info when i have it. Surely desirable as they have not been changed, and not many helmets where made at ZKO. I think it was less than a third but i do not remember exactly.

Regards, Lars