Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Late-USSR Ushanka Authentication

Article about: How does one separate a genuine Soviet army Ushanka from a reproduction? This was found at a thrift shop by a friend of mine. I assumed that it was a fake (and for that reason removed the pi

Default Late-USSR Ushanka Authentication

How does one separate a genuine Soviet army Ushanka from a reproduction?
    This was found at a thrift shop by a friend of mine. I assumed that it was a fake (and for that reason removed the pin) until I recently saw some photos of very similar hats and pins worn by Russian soldiers in the First Chechen War.
    The white stamp on the inside above the diamond says "отю 8", and then below that "1C"

Any and all info is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late-USSR Ushanka Authentication   Late-USSR Ushanka Authentication  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late-USSR Ushanka Authentication
    P
    Many

?

I´m no expert on ushankas, but with the experience I can at least tell you that 91r would lead me to believe this is a real thing, a repro usually wouldn´t have such a date. So I would say that it is Soviet made, but not sure if they still would have had them in the Chechen War.
    Of course anyone please correct me.

With further research, the markings and the producer are legit.

Yep, that is a real one from the late USSR pattern and probably some still being worn in certain circumstances.

The cap badge is an other ranks/enlisted parade cap badge that was worn in everyday uniform in places like Berlin or where they wanted an extra bit of show!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

When I was in Sevastopol a few years back, ushanki worn by EM sailors of the Russian Black Sea Fleet were still embellished with these cockades. These belt buckles were still in use as well:

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Thanks for this information, it's very interesting! Looks like it was made in Bobruisk, Belarus.

I feel a little bad now that I removed the pin, but at least I was careful not to damage it.

Picture #61 in this album: First Chechen War-20 Years On | a photo story by Heidi Brander | Panos Pictures shows a Russian soldier in the First Chechen War wearing an almost identical hat and pin.