Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M 40 Soviet visor cap and cockade. Please ID

Article about: I just won this on ebay and was wondering about the cockade (I've never saw one like this before) and the year of this hat. I bought it for Soviet Reenacting so I was not concerned about it

Ginamann
    ?

Question M 40 Soviet visor cap and cockade. Please ID

I just won this on ebay and was wondering about the cockade (I've never saw one like this before) and the year of this hat.
    I bought it for Soviet Reenacting so I was not concerned about it being original but now I'm intrigued with what this really is.
    My thought is it's a euro movie prop. the colors are that of Infantry NCO or Officer.
    I know it's euro because of the 57 size stamp inside.
    Could it be a 1945 Victory parade cap?
    Please anyone with knowledge of Soviet caps help!
    bolshoe spasibo!
    Ginamann

PS
    Also it has a funny story that I'm not sure about:,It reads:
    WW II Soviet Cap Traded For Cigarettes
    A small Russian military hat from World War 2 that was traded by a Nebraska soldier for cigarettes . It was brought back by that G.I to his home and put away while he returned to civilian life. It is a khaki felt on top with a maroon bottom insert with a red hammer and sickle metal button . It is wonderful shape no holes and a size 57
    I purchased this hat from an elderly widow who said her late husband had obtained this while working in counter intelligence. She could not remember exactly when but thought it was one of the items he traded for during WWII. I have no reason to think she was trying to deceive me but if she was mistaken, I would not know as I know nothing about military items
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M 40 Soviet visor cap and cockade. Please ID  

2. # ADS

Default re: M 40 Soviet visor cap and cockade. Please ID

It is an original cap, but produced in post-war Soviet occupied Germany. I own several variants.

The pin on the band is totally incorrect - Affixed to it should be a regular Soviet, or better yet, German produced star cockarde.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Ginamann
    ?

Hello RichieC!
    Thanks for the info!
    Any idea on what that cockade is?
    poka!
    bolshoe spasibo for the info!
    Ginamann

I'll show some examples later this evening...

?

The cockade must be a red enameled star. Nice hat, looks to me early production , probably 1945 year by Robert Lubstein
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Dim,

Is that plastic sweat diamond a characteristic of EREL caps? I ask as I am not very familiar with wartime or very early (1945 - 48r) gear produced by the Lubstein factory.

This one seems unmarked, and mine of this type are unmarked as well.

Also, I own a few (marked) R Lubstein caps, but all are dated post 1948, and all are ink stamped in the typical Soviet factory fashion.

Ginamann
    ?

Question re: M 40 Soviet visor cap and cockade. Please ID

Thank you guys for the info. I have original ww2 cap star to put on this hat .

What I am wondering is what is this little red badge that is on the hat now?

I have never seen one like this.
    Any thoughts
    poka!
    Ginamann

sovietsvt
    ?

I am also curious about the cap badge.
    Maybe Red Army Choir or a dance troop?

Junior

Quote by Ginamann View Post
    What I am wondering is what is this little red badge that is on the hat now?
    Please show a close-up image so we may view it more clearly...

Quote by RichieC View Post
    I'll show some examples later this evening...
    The top row of three are postwar German made. The first of aluminum, the second of brass, and the third also of brass, except with a separate hammer and sickle. All three are painted in red.

I believe that one of our sponsors, Espenlaub Militaria has another variation or two of these in brass available for purchase. See here: http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/Dec...005/stars5.jpg or here: http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/Dec...005/stars8.jpg

Anyhow, the second row of two are both postwar Soviet made, the first mid 50s to 1964. The second late 40s/early 50s.

The close-up is another German made variant of brass, and again, painted in red (also of two piece construction) - This one resides on a cap very similar to yours.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M 40 Soviet visor cap and cockade. Please ID   M 40 Soviet visor cap and cockade. Please ID  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.