Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

New member seeking information on recently acquired SSCh-39 helmets

Article about: Hello, In attempting to research a couple helmets I recently acquired, I came across this incredible forum. As you might guess from my choice of user ID, my primary area of interest is in ed

By the sword
    ?

Default New member seeking information on recently acquired SSCh-39 helmets

Hello,

In attempting to research a couple helmets I recently acquired, I came across this incredible forum.

As you might guess from my choice of user ID, my primary area of interest is in edged weapons. However, this last weekend, I came across the moving sale of an elderly retired veteran who spent much of the last half-century collecting helmets - military helmets, fire helmets - you name it, he collected it. He actively exchanged with other collectors, though the most recent letter of correspondence he showed me dated to the late 1980s, and he had not been actively collecting for the last couple decades.

While another person attending the sale was quick to jump on an entire box full of WWII German helmets, this helmet and a couple others were left for my own acquisition. The elderly gentleman informed me they were WWII Russian helmets, and with a little bit of research I have been able to identify them as SSCh-39 (marine?) helmets (by the high-mounted three rivets that secure the liner).

However, I am hoping the more experienced helmet collectors here may help enlighten me with regards to additional information about the helmet(s) given the following information:

-The liner itself is either brown leather (on one helmet) or faux-leather (on the one pictured)
    -The chin strap is of brown leather on both
    -There is no visible stamp or marking in or on the helmet
    -There are five small holes just above the rim, beginning on the side(s) and (more or less evenly) spaced around the back

What can the more enlightened minds on this forum tell me about this helmet? Was it repainted? Were the -39's produced post-WWII as well?

Thank you in advance for your help and expertise. Photos to follow:

2. # ADS

Dom
    ?

Default Re: New member seeking information on recently acquired SSCh-39 helmets

Hello,
    your helmet is Czech M º vz. 53 .
    Helmet for fire services. The 5 holes are seen covering the rear half of the perimeter of the hull.
    Look at this link CHECO 53

?

m53 czech .

By the sword
    ?

Thank you both Dom & ZERO for the ID on the helmet... Great link BTW, Dom.