Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Officers Panama hat?

Article about: I would like forum members opinions of the hat pictured below, of which I have seen several examples for sale through the years, usually labeled as an officers version of the enlisted mans h

Default Officers Panama hat?

I would like forum members opinions of the hat pictured below, of which I have seen several examples for sale through the years, usually labeled as an officers version of the enlisted mans hot weather panama hat. Could this be true and if so of which era is it, or is it just a badged up civilian hat of some type. The examples seen advertised do not seem to have any markings on the sweatband but all seem to have a number of vent holes on the crown and the brown chinstrap and buttons. Thanks.

Officers Panama hat?Officers Panama hat?Officers Panama hat?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Officers Panama hat?
    P
    Many

?

I'm usually quite wary of anything that is said to be a genuine soviet hat - there are a lot of fakes on the market. I also usually tend to avoid something without markings that I am unsure of. This doesn't look like the common Panama hat I've typically seen from around WW2 - 1st photo (this certainly doesn't match the Afghanka) The badge looks to have some age to it, cant tell too well. However I recently found this (2nd) photo which apparently show's Soviet snipers in 1938 on parade, wearing a hat that looks relatively similar in outline to the one you've found - I honestly would not go for it, but I'm no expert on Soviet militaria.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Officers Panama hat?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Officers Panama hat?  Officers Panama hat? 

Dom
    ?

Yes for officers , this model of Panama in felt fabric was introduced in 1961
    For reasons unknown to me does not remain in service in the Soviet Army ?

?

interesting to know!

OK, thanks for the replies, so it appears it may be an issue item, but of a later vintage than I thought and not issued for a long period as I haven't seen a photo of one in use. The examples in the 1938 sniper school photo FinMC posted do look similar, although the image is too indistinct to tell for sure. What seems unusual for an issued item is the lack of any apparent makers markings on the hat I pictured, unless perhaps located on the sweatbands inner side?. Regards Andrew.

Dom
    ?

Quote by bowerbird View Post
    OK, thanks for the replies, so it appears it may be an issue item, but of a later vintage than I thought and not issued for a long period as I haven't seen a photo of one in use.
    Officers Panama hat?

Officers Panama hat?

?

I think it really depends on how much it's offered for, I mean the fact it was in issue for such a short time may mean it has some rarity to it? If possible ask the seller for more photo's of the liner!

Well there you go, thanks to Dom for the photos, what a very un-Russian looking hat, perhaps that is why it was short lived.

?

It does look quite American doesn't it? Brave Soviet comrades cannot be seen in such decadent style!

Dom
    ?

Soviet version of the famous Stetson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast