Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Post War Soviet helmet?

Article about: I recently picked this up with the intention to possibly add in a repro (or original) liner & chin strap in order to function as a SSH39 stand in (I cant find or afford any decent ones).

?

Default Post War Soviet helmet?

I recently picked this up with the intention to possibly add in a repro (or original) liner & chin strap in order to function as a SSH39 stand in (I cant find or afford any decent ones). Would anyone be able to tell me what this exact helmet is? All I was told is that it was a post war eastern bloc production made to the specs of the SSH39.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post War Soviet helmet?   Post War Soviet helmet?  

Post War Soviet helmet?   Post War Soviet helmet?  

Post War Soviet helmet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post War Soviet helmet?
    P
    Many

I am reasonably sure this is a Czech vz.53. It definately is not Hungarian or Polish anyway. I am not able to get to my own examples to check for certain, but from what I remember and crosschecking with pictures elsewhere I am pretty sure about this. The shell isn't identical to the ssh39 but it is close.

Greg is correct VZ 53 ,can i ask where you picked up this relic ,judging by the wear and tear and the fact its missing its liner /chinstrap i reckon it might have seen use in the middle east ,perhaps an exported example maybe

It does look like a later production VZ 53!...
    .: World War Helmets - Casque Vz 53 :.

Hello everyone,
    it may be helpful for comparison, here's a late production example, version with double chinstrap.

Regards
    Roberto

Post War Soviet helmet?Post War Soviet helmet?Post War Soviet helmet?

Here is my example .This was a middle east bring back and devoid of It's liner ,the shell patina is very similar to the OP's Post War Soviet helmet?

?

Use in the middle east? Very interesting! Would it perhaps be a better idea to leave it as is then, rather than fit it out with SSH39 kit?

There is no certainty that this helmet was ever used anywhere outside Czechoslovakia. Unless you can find any specific markings or paint that can tie it to export use then you should reasonably assume its just a standard vz.53 shell and leave it at that.

By the way, if you want an intact 53, they are actually still one of the most common helmets available, though often passed off as 'Soviet' or 'Russian', which they are definately not. Use the link GunnyH left above to familiarise yourself.

?

I always like to be hopeful The only two properly identifiable markings of a kind that I have found (though the helmet is scratched up reasonably heavy in parts, so I will have a closer look) is what I presume is a name or something & a printed mark. (sorry for the tilted photo's - Iphone always sends at different angles! Just tilt left )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post War Soviet helmet?   Post War Soviet helmet?  

Exported example's are often devoid of there liner as the individual wearer favoured the fit of there headdress better ,as you probably know already a lot of Eastern block helmets were used by Iraq ,iran , Egypt, etc, I just feel the paintwork is consistent with helmet's exposed to extreme temperatures ,This is only my opinion of course but i do own a number of bring back helmet's ,Either that or it has seen a very hard life in the Czechoslovakian army ,i feel It's more desirable as it stands so i wouldn't attempt retro fitting a replacement liner that most likely would not be inkeeping with it's overall condition ,Fin is it possible you could contact the previous owner for more details's sometime's it pay off to ask a little of the history , i always do on all my aquisition's
    Thanks, James